Installing bedwood/installing windsheild

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by max2, Sep 18, 2000.

1. max2

max2 Member

Does anyone have any tips for installing new bedwood (long bed fleetside)? I heard that it can be difficult. The bed is off of the truck right now.
    I am also re-installing the windsheild on my 63' and any tips on installing it without breaking it would be great. The truck does have the stainless steel windsheild trim.

Max

2. speedball

speedball Member

Max,
    You have probably installed the new bed wood and windshield by now but I’ll give you the benefit of my experience anyway. First, the bed wood isn’t too difficult to install if you take your time. You can do it while the bed is on the truck or off. I did it with the bed off and found it had several advantages. After removing the old wood and metal strips I stood the bed on end and carefully measured the distance from corner to corner to make sure the steel part of the bed was perfectly square. I purchased a wood kit form MarK and installed the pre-machined boards in their proper order. I then installed the metal strips and hardware (not too tight because you may have to shift the boards to fit) and rechecked the square ness of the bed. I then matched drilled all the peripheral holes in the new bed wood to the holes in the metal flanges and wheel tubs. Then disassemble everything and sand and finish to suit. After everything is painted and finished reassemble the same way. I then installed the bed to the truck frame. Came out great. Take a look.
    As far as the windshield yours is slightly different than mine. The 64 have a forward slanting A pillar and yours slants backward. I found installing my windshield very difficult and wish you luck. My feeling is that is one job an experienced installer could do faster and better. Good luck.Max,
    You have probably installed the new bed wood and windshield by now but I’ll give you the benefit of my experience anyway. First, the bed wood isn’t too difficult to install if you take your time. You can do it while the bed is on the truck or off. I did it with the bed off and found it had several advantages. After removing the old wood and metal strips I stood the bed on end and carefully measured the distance from corner to corner to make sure the steel part of the bed was perfectly square. I purchased a wood kit form MarK and installed the pre-machined boards in their proper order. I then installed the metal strips and hardware (not too tight because you may have to shift the boards to fit) and rechecked the square ness of the bed. I then matched drilled all the peripheral holes in the new bed wood to the holes in the metal flanges and wheel tubs. Then disassemble everything and sand and finish to suit. After everything is painted and finished reassemble the same way. I then installed the bed to the truck frame. Came out great. Take a look.
    As far as the windshield yours is slightly different than mine. The 64 have a forward slanting A pillar and yours slants backward. I found installing my windshield very difficult and wish you luck. My feeling is that is one job an experienced installer could do faster and better. Good luck.
    Max,
    As far as the windshield yours is slightly different than mine. The 64 have a forward slanting A pillar and yours slants backward. I found installing my windshield very difficult and wish you luck. My feeling is that is one job an experienced installer could do faster and better. Good luck.
    Max,
    Max,
    As far as the windshield yours is slightly different than mine. The 64 have a forward slanting A pillar and yours slants backward. I found installing my windshield very difficult and wish you luck. My feeling is that is one job an experienced installer could do faster and better. Good luck. http://www.geocities.com/richmond2_99/64PU.html