Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by BUB91, Dec 29, 2004.

1. BUB91

BUB91 Member

Well here's the deal Ive got a 51 chevy PU with a 78 camaro 10 bolt rearend and drum brakes, and want to go to disc brakes but dont want to spend $800.00 on a rear disc conversion kit from SSBC or any other aftermarket kit. Question what can I use from the salvage yard as far as backing plates and calipers with intigrated parking brakes that will bolt up to my 10 bolt I know I will need to buy rotors and pads sure seems like it would cost far less than $800.00 any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Thanks ....

http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/products/detail/321/?make=Chevrolet&model=Camaro&year=1978

2. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Bub91,
    On my 1950 1/2 ton, I am running a 1980 10 bolt, and used rear disc brakes from a 1998 camaro Z28. You will have to remove the axles to install, but they otherwise bolt right on. They are large, and barely fit inside my 16 x 8 rally rims, so rim choice may be an issue. The parking brake is a drum, inside the disc, and the only catch there is the camaro parking brake cables run the wrong way, and use a different end. You will need to get creative in attaching the cables to the stock setup. I can send a picture of what I did if you would like. I only have a few hundred miles since install, but so far no issues. The setup seems to work well if you don't mind a little modifying.............Mike

3. BUB91

BUB91 Member

Hey thanks for your reply since im going to use a 17 wheel when my project is road ready sounds like your conversion would work great YES any pictures I would appreciate. What did you do for a fuel tank ? Ive been looking at stainless tanks that fit behind the rear axle..not quite sure what to do there yet.
    Thanks again ....
    bubcole91@hotmail.com

4. mikesters1950

mikesters1950 Member

Bub, I used a 16 gallon mustang tank. One issue with the mustang tank is the sender is different ohms than the stock one. The tank fits well, but it's something to consider. What type of project are you building? What type of rear suspension, etc.
    There are lots of things you can do, just depends on your setup, and how much you are willing to modify. In hindsight, a stainless tank would probably be easier with stock guages, just a lot more expensive. On the rear brakes, I used a different shock setup, and inboarded them. Not sure about clearances with outboard shocks. I'll see if I can crawl under and get a better look, and I'll check for pictures......Mike

5. BUB91

BUB91 Member

6. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

RE%253A Rear Disc Brake Conversion

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-05 AT 01:32 PM (CST)]*