Help! Do I have a 1954 Corvette Engine?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by bfrisby, Mar 15, 2009.

1. bfrisby

bfrisby Member

Hi Classic Chevy Bugs!

I have a 1950 Chevy 3100 1/2 ton pick-up that has a 235 engine. The previous owner thought it is possibly out of a 54 Vet, but was never able to confirm. I have spent hours on the web trying to find the answer without success. Does anyone know how I can go about finding the answer?

I have the engine serial #(HBA 226497), cylinder head #(3836848), but I don't have the engine block #, don't know where to find it, or if it can be seen with the engine in the truck.

I thought you could determine the Original Vehicle the engine was installed in
    by its Serial No. Is this true? If so who would I contact for this information.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me to find out if my engine is worth more than the Whole Old Truck.

Sincerely,

Brian Frisby

P.S. The engine has a split exhaust manifold and deul exhaust, but only one carburator

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Brian, the serial number breaks down as follows:

"H" 1950
    "B" 3100 series truck 216 engine
    "A" built in Flint, Michigan
    "226497" is the sequence number

The casting # on the head corresponds to a '53-57 235 head used on corvettes.

So maybe you've got part of a 'vette motor.

Ken

P.S. Welcome to the nuthouse!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Waitaminnit ~ the ' 848 ' cylinder head is the last and best , replacement head GM designed for the '55 ~ '62 235 engines , it WILL NOT FIT either a 216 nor a '54 235 engine .

Brian ; as good old whatizname said : WELCOME (that's Chevy Blue there) To The NUTHOUSE ! :D

All are welcome here , even those poor befuddled , tortured souls who like (and occasionally even drive) GMC Trucks ;)

:p

:eek:

4. shankamoto

shankamoto Member

235 engine

More than likely you have a 235 replacement engine. The corvette did not use a different block or head. The 3836848 head fits all 53-59 235 engines. The engine block number is located behind the starter. 3733949 and 3835911 are replacement blocks. Corvettes had three carter carbs.

Corvettes used the truck engine bacause of the solid lifters and aluminum timing gear. The dist had dual points.

Hope this helps.:)

Gene

P.S. Welcome

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Uh ;

Gene ;

I know it's been years since I touched a 1953 235 but IIrc the pre 1055 engines are quite different and would not take the later cylinder heads , different head gaskets and other small things.....

Am I getting senile allready ? :confused:

Surely the 1954 235 is a one year only beast , we used to have a hard time getting parts for them .

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

I have a 54 in mine and the parts are still hard to get.

7. shankamoto

shankamoto Member

Senility

Nate: Your not getting senile.

Back in the day as I recall, 53 235 engines had center studs on the valve train to hold the valve covers on. 53 PG models and the 54 used the new design w/o studs. The head gaskets for 53 and 54 are the same. But the head gasket sets are not the same because of the valve cover gaskets.
    We also found that GM original equip gaskets were different than non GM.
    When the 55 1st series came out GM came up with a head that would fit 53 and up. We sold it as part no. #3730415 fcasting no. #3836848. It came with seats and guides. On models with studs on the valve train it was nesc. to replace valve train and cover. Also install spring seats # 838539.

GM also came up with a replacement engine for 54 and 55 1st ser. using casting nos. #3835911 and #3733949 using the #3836848 head.

For reference: 53 235 block casting # 3701946.
    53 PG 235 and all 54 casting # 3701481.

Hope I didn't confuse the whole issue.:confused:

Gene

8. Zig

Zig Member

GGGG, let's SEEEEE!!!!

"poor, befuddled, tortured souls????"

Iffin I wasn't busy building my beautiful G a home, I would have spoke up sooner!
    You're right though, Nate~ I haven't driven mine NEARLY enough.

...of course, that had to do with discovering that a G was SOOO much better than a C

I wanted to make sure mine was going to last as long as possible. That's why I got rid of the rust and painted it!

Now, I'll be around ...forEVER!!!!!....:D

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

THANX Gene !

Zig ;

Well , what can I say ? it's not nice to make fun of the befuddled..... :D

When will it ever stop ? :p

:rolleyes:

:cool:

10. bfrisby

bfrisby Member

Thanks Guys'
    I appreciate your unput regarding engine identification

11. bfrisby

bfrisby Member

Thanks Ken,
    I appreciated your help.

Regards, Brian

12. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Hey Brian, that's what we're here for! Your block has a casting number on it that will also validate what engine it is. It is located on the passenger side between the road draft tube and water pump. See if you can knock 50 years of grime off of that and post it, we'll figure it out. And while you're at it, post some pictures of your truck. We love pictures!:cool:

Ken