Harmonic Balancer installation tips

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by herkdriver, Jan 22, 2006.

1. herkdriver

herkdriver Member

I have a 1958 Chevy Apache 3100 with the inline 6-cylinder 235 engine. Have pulled off harmonic balancer and timing gear cover to repair significant front seal leak. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the harmonic balancer back on with engine still in vehicle? I do not see any threads in the crankcase front to screw any type of tool to apply even pressure to the balancer upon installation. Any techniques out there other than beating the balancer back on and risking damaging the new seal? Any special tool that I should consider?

Also, found a good groove on my current balancer. Anyone use the repair kit sold by Chevy Duty with success? Or is it better to bite the bullet and purchase a new harmonic balancer? Any idea where I can buy a new one? Did not see in the Chevy Duty web site.

2. ljw

ljw Member

RE: Harmonic Balancer installation

they make a repair kit,but while it is off I might price a new balancer.There probably is a special tool,but once my brother and I pounded one back on with no apparent ill effects. I know v-8 balancers are plentiful,for 6-bangers I would check the resto catalogs-because it is a common part to replace.

3. dunhamfield

dunhamfield Member

I have been told that if you heat up the balancer in an oven to oround 220 degrees that it will slide right on the crankshaft. I havent tried this yet but plan to in the near future.....any comments?

4. herkdriver

herkdriver Member

I applied the harmonic balancer repair kit from Chevy Duty and it fit just great. Did try the oven trick, and the harmonic balancer went on with a bit of pounding with a lead sledge easy enough. So far no new leaks.

Thanks for the tips.....:D