Underbed spare tire carrier options

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 49trucknut, Sep 11, 2005.

1. 49trucknut

49trucknut Member

Does anybody know what types of spare tire carriers were available for the Advanced Design Chevy 3100 1/2 ton truck, (49-54)? I've got a '49 with part of the assembly missing. Factory Assembly Manual shown numerous variations but most are of the pivot arm style. Mine is some sort of sliding track assembly and I'm missing at least the sliding track part. I've yet to see a photo or diagram of this style. Was the track type not very common? Is there a picture or diagram in any other Chevy literature? Thanks in advance!:)

2. coilover

coilover Member

RE: Underbed spare tire carrier opt

I think I may have the female part of the track for a 49 we worked on. It was bolted or riveted on at an angle if I recall correctly. I don't know what the male part that attached to the wheel looked like but I would guess they would not be a good deal for someone to have that lived on a muddy road or in snow or ice areas. The swing arm set up was pretty goof proof if the threads got a splash of oil at change times. Most of the trucks done nowdays don't even see rain, let alone mud or snow so the grooved track setup would work fine.