trouble with headliner

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by scottys54, Nov 9, 2007.

1. scottys54

scottys54 Member

I have purchased a new two piece headliner and have a question regarding the center support bow. When I bought my truck the headliner was not in it but I did get the two pieces of metal that hold the headliner in place. How does the center piece stay in place? Does it go in front of or bind the metal lip above the doors or does it go between the metal lip and the rubber that goes around the doors? I cant seem to figure it out and there does not seem to be any place that it wants to fit.

Scottys 54

2. 1950gmc girl

1950gmc girl Member

You know, I have not figured that one out yet. I have a custom button headliner in mine that I need to replace because it sags. I am fortunate enough to be a small person (5.2) so it has never really bothered me, but I can't say the same for some of my 6 ft passengers:b!

3. sloromon

sloromon Member

4. sloromon

sloromon Member

maybe not. at least not on first inspection. the tocmp site has all kinds of new stuff, though. wow!!

http://www.chevy.tocmp.com/

jon

5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

54 headliner pics

I had the pleasure of meeting Jim (Thunder54) and his wife today and took my camera along to shoot some pics of his headliner. Hope these pics help.

https://talk.classicparts.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=797&ppuser=5385

Scotty, the center retainer is what they call a "floating" clip. It is slotted to accept both the rear piece of the headliner and the front piece. It is basically self-supporting and each end tucks neatly inside the cab windlace. As Jim explained it to me, they started with the front piece and secured it under the windshield moulding and garnish, then slid it into the center retainer and put the back piece in, which but the way, required some trimming. The back clip is held in place by sheet metal screws. As Lynn explained "it was a 2 day project that involved "Red Truck" wine!"

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  6. scottys54

scottys54 Member

Thank you thank you thank you!

Ken 50,

That discription and the pictures were what I needed. Man I wish I lived by somebody that could look at my truck. I am still having problems doing my valves, but I will get it.

Thanks again Ken!

7. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Scotty, where do you live? You'd be surprised at the number of folks that live close to you that have the same interests! Glad to have helped you out! Post some pictures of your truck. #1 we love em. #2 we can look at them and offer advice or learn from them.

Ken

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yeah Scotty....

...Didja know you can modify your profile to show where you live ? you can be vauge or specific but you'll get WAY more ' help ' responses if your neighbors know they're your neighbors....

9. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Headliner photos

Scotty - Here's some shots of "original" installation on my project. I haven't explored what the plastic buttons are connected to yet. Larry

Attached Files: