How to remove hub from brake drum

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by road_king, Jul 29, 2004.

1. road_king

road_king Member

Hellow All,

I'm working on rebuilding my front-end. I have just installed new leaf springs and have cleaned/painted the front axle. I have also removed the king pins and bushings and the spindles are ready to be cleaned and painted, and I have new bushings and king pins in hand.

Along with the above, the plan is to replace the brake parts and use new tapered bearings (also in hand). I will be reusing the backing plates - which have already been cleaned and painted.

So, I have purchased new brake drums and after removing the bearings and mounting bolts from the old hub, I can't figure out how to get it the rest of the way off to install in the new drums. I see that there are 3 permanent "knobs" that protrude through the drum, but after a couple of strikes with a hammer, they started to get disfigured.

What am I missing? I can't find any reference to this in the "factory assembly guide" or the "shop manual". My secret technique of "beating the hell out of it" isn't working this time!

Thanks in advance,
    Tim Bleeker
    58 Apache 3100

See the project journal at http://www.road-king.com/58chevy

2. tech1

tech1 Member

RE: How to remove hub from brake dr

you may have to have them pressed out if you cant knock them out:+

3. DrMike

DrMike Member

Try loosening the adjuster on the brakes. Your shoes may be tight against the drums, not letting you remove it. Hitting it with a hammer may still be necessary to loosen it once you have backed off the adjuster.

Mike

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Those '3 permanent "knobs" that protrude through the drum' are actually large rivets. To remove the hub grind off or drill through the head of the rivet, then use a punch and a hammer to drive the remaining piece through the hub and brake drum. The drum may still stick to the hub because of 45+ years of intimate contact. If so, revert to your "beating the hell out of it" procedure. It is not necessary to put in new rivets. I ran my daily driver for 10 years after putting new drums on the front without replacing the rivets. And another 5 years now with disk rotors attached to the hubs in place of the drums.

5. road_king

road_king Member

Thanks for the help everyone, especially Bill - I like answers that involve my hammer!

Tim B.

6. Halfton57

Halfton57 Member

I used an air hammer along with with my compressor to make quick work of the rivets. The rivets aren't necessary when you reassemble the hub/drum assembly.

Stepside57 in the Central San Joaquin Valley of California