Frame for 54 3100

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 54 Mississippi, Mar 26, 2007.

1. 54 Mississippi

54 Mississippi Member

Several months ago I purchased a 54 Chevy Pickup on eBay. In researching the truck I am left with more confusion than facts. The markings and title indicate the truck is a 1954 half-ton. The serial number is J54L00l405. The bed is 80 inches long and has the spare tire mount on the side of the bed. Body and paint are in very good condition. But the frame has been butchered and for many reasons I would like to find a good frame.

Now to my question.

What frames can I use under this truck. I know that the 54’s are different from the preceding years, but not how. I am having great difficulty finding a 54 ½ ton frame. If I purchase an aftermarket frame it will blow the budget and there by cause great displeasure from the wife. Can I use an earlier year or a ¾ ton frame? If so what modification will I need to make? Is there a site or source that will show me the differences? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chiro

Chiro Member

Hi there Miss',

What's your name and welcome to the forum. It's a bit far to drive to me, but I have an extra frame if you want it. As far as differences are concerned, I believe others here can speak more knowledgably on that than I. I am sure the gang will chime in soon with answers to your question. Watch out for Zig, though.

Andy

3. 54 Mississippi

54 Mississippi Member

My name is Mike. Mississippi has been my home for almost 30 years. Though currantly I am in Santa Fe, New Mexico. retired from a university and took a job out here for awhile. Plan to return to Mississippi soonest. BTW lots of old trucks out here in the desert. Just have not found a 54.

4. Zig

Zig Member

Hey now!

Andy, you know I'm okay as long as I don't see "grill", "oil", "breather"...
    Oh heck- who am I kidding- I'll never be okay! (But that's okay!)

Hey Miss' - I got the same deal in a way. I got a 1/2 ton 54 Chevy frame that I'm going to put a 52 GMC truck body on. As far as I know, the best thing would be for me to use a 54 bed. There is some kind of difference in bed-side heights that can be dinked around with to where I COULD use a 52 bed, but I'm not sure I'll worry about that. I kinda' like the idea of flat top rails just in case I'd like to put a lid on it...

There- I made it! :D

Proud of me Andy?:)

5. Chiro

Chiro Member

Good job, Ziggy.:D

6. Teacher54

Teacher54 Member

7. Zig

Zig Member

Be honest, Andy.

You know you REALLY wanted to type (as well as a brizzillion others)
    "Yes- PLEASE put a lid on it!";)
    Geeze, I give you a slow pitch right over the plate and you're looking at butterflies!:D

8. Chiro

Chiro Member

Aww, Zig.

It wouldn't be this forum without the ribbing:D

Andy

9. federale

federale Member

Check with these guys,Chavez Brothers. I've bought several parts from them during my many visits to the area,all pristine and no rust condition.
    http://maps.citysearch.com/map/view/6930577

10. maes_51

maes_51 Member

Howdy Neighbor

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the forum and NM. I was born and raised in NM. I'm here in Albuquerque about 45 minutes south of Santa Fe on I-25. There is a place here that works on and deals in these old beauties. They may have a frame for you or know where to find one. Place is called 'The Service Station'. It is located on 4th Street just south of Ranchitos Road. I'll find a number for you.

11. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

Your serial number shows your truck as a 3/4 ton 3600 model. It has a 125 1/4" wheelbase vs. the half ton 3100 116".

12. 54 Mississippi

54 Mississippi Member

Thanks Guys,

Think I have found a home here.

I have called Chavez and The Service Station in Albuquerque and will plan getting there Monday or Tuesday next week. The service Station is on spring break.

Classic Car Projects Has a 53 frame striped. But I wold have the bed mounting difficulty.

Found a 54 GMC in Soth Dakota, is the frame compatable?

Measured wheel base is 116 inches. But I suspected the truck is kind of stuck togeather. Is the bed correct?

That is why I want to locate proper frame and build from there. Have clear idea of what I am going to do. This truck will be driven everywhere, except in Santa Fe traffic, and anytime the weather is good.

Would like to get up with Mike and swap information. Love the look of your truck. Close to the color of mine.

Thanks Again,

Mike

13. GrandpaGlenn0

GrandpaGlenn0 Member

Hi Mike, Over on the Stovebolt site , under "Freebies"-- last item, is an offer of a frame for your 54 (located in West Virginia)-- Check it out!
    Good luck,
    Glenn

14. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Hey Mike, welcome to the site. According to my reference materials, the "bed" dimensions on the '54 were 77 1/4 inches (probably measured from one end of the board to the other end), so if your bed is 80" overall, i'd say that your bed is correct for a 1/2 ton pickup.

15. coilover

coilover Member

Here is a pic of a 54 cab on a 47-53 frame. Note the curved windshield and slanting bedsides.

Attached Files:

16. Zig

Zig Member

Sweet Ride!

Thanks for the pic, Evan. That's a sweet looking ride. the exact negative of my situation. I don't think it matters as long as they're rollin' and loved! They ALL look great! Remember the pic of Nate's POC work truck? The only change I'd make on the one you posted is change the silver to white and add a nice yellow transition line 'twixt the two!:cool:

17. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

I think that the GMC and Chevy frames are different due to different engine mounting and size. On oldgmctrucks.com site there was a side by side pic of frame differences

18. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

Here is a pic of a 50 1/2 ton frame that is out of my truck. Maybe you will be able to see the difference in what you are needing.

Attached Files:

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

'54 Frame Differances

O.K. , I'm not sharp on 54's but , when GM decided to re-design the bed for more load space and easier loading , they did it by dropping the ' kick up ' where the frame arches up over the rear axle , that's what I recall . it's always a bit of a PIA as 54's are stand alone frames .

I know there's a good frame sitting in the sand just waiting for you , you need to keep beating the bushes as here in Los Angeles stock frames are only worth $400.00 tops , this from old truck suppliers so I bet there's a _perfect_ one waiting for you for like $75.00 in someone's backyard , time to go over the tracks to my side of town and get nosey.... :rolleyes:

Remember to measure across the frame horns and diagonally too before buying a seriously bent or twisted frame .

Good luck hunting ! .

20. Tailgater

Tailgater Member