Under the Headliner

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Just Learning, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Just Learning

Just Learning Member

Hey gang,

I know there has been a lot of entries on installing headliner, which I have studiously printed, but I must have missed this one.

Under my old headliner, I found a dried up black insulation, and have sanded it off. But what are people putting in its place. Can you recommend a brand, or something, and where do you find it.

Thanks!

Eric

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What you need is a closed cell typ of insulation ~ something that cannot hold moisture .

Look up " Dyna Mat " for example ~ I use it quite a bit , Pep Boys sells it or a copy of same .

You cut it to fit then use 3M upholstery cement on Foo-Fo cans to attach it , lightly spray both surfaces , (the insulation and the metal) , allow to take up for 5 minutes them press to-gether and VIOLA ! it's done .

My '49 is insulated from the top of the windshield all the way around and back down to 1/2" above the floor , it's _very_ quiet inside .

You can stuff some inside the doors to stop the drumming and CLANG ! they do when slammed .

3. coilover

coilover Member

Nate hit the nail on the head, as usual. The Dyna Mat and the less pricey others now have a very sticky self adhesive on them. I think Hush Mat is the exact same product at about half the price. If you rap a panel with your knuckles that has this on them you would swear it's fiberglass, absolutely no ring to it. For the Texas heat we also use the foil coated blister wrap, its the stuff they use to hang inside your windshield to protect your dash from the sun. Not as good a sound deadener but very good insulater to help hold the heat or cool inside the cab. We don't use this where electrical wires are in contact with it because if a short occurs each bubble contains air to sustain a fire.

4. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Duct wrap

Ive used air con duct wrap, black closed cell foam sheet, its zero fire rated and a great sound/heat insulation...........and ive got tons of it laying around:rolleyes: that may have influenced my decision.

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I use dyna mat and hushmat on mine. Also, use the foil backed jute stuff you can find at hot rod shows on top of the sound deadner for insulation and additional sound deadening.

6. BIG CHEVY 3600

BIG CHEVY 3600 Member

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I Forgot To Mention :

Mouse poop ! that's behind the headliner of pretty much every old truck.....:rolleyes:

Jute holds moisture and will cause rusting :(

8. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Which is why I cover the whole roof in Dynamat before using the jute. I also completly cover the floor so that I don't have the rust out problem....at least not as soon/