re watson trans overdrive unit

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by bondodawg, May 7, 2001.

1. bondodawg

bondodawg Member

I HAVE A WATSON TRANSMISSION UNDERDRIVE DIRECT OVERDRIVE UNIT MADE
    BY SPICER MANUFACTURING MODEL # 46 CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE TO GO TO GET MORE INFO ON THAT UNIT IE. APPLICATION ,RATIOS ETC THANKS

2. Craig

Craig Guest

I did some checking but came up short.What year do you think it is?
    Craig Hager
    tech1@chevyduty.com

3. myfine55

myfine55 Member

>I did some checking but came
    >up short.What year do you
    >think it is?
    >Craig Hager
    >tech1@chevyduty.com

4. sowletrans

sowletrans Member

Model 45

I have a Watson Transmission Brown life Gear DIV Spicer MFG Model 45 S/N Z49445
    And I have not been able to find out anything on it also.But maybe some of what I gave you will help you.Good Luck Jerry

5. 67Cowboy

67Cowboy Member

Overdrive Unit

I'm doing some research on these and would really like to see some photos of what you guys have ?!?

Attached Files:

6. BobS

BobS Member

Re: Overdrives

I'm kinda curious about these as well. 67Cowboy, what is that first picture of?

Bob

7. roadsterfan

roadsterfan Member

Underdrive-Direct-Overdrive

Hello- I've got one of the these too. It is called by its nickname, a 3 speed "Brownie", used as a second transmission behind a 5 speed Clark, or whatever trans is in the front. It provided an underdrive for pulling, drive for one-to-one, and an overdrive for cruising. Got mine from behind an older Cummins Diesel, but they are useable about anywhere. Was thinking of putting mine behind a c-6 or a TH400 to make use of the overdrive, but really its original use was to make a fifteen speed trans out of a 5 and the Brownie 3 speed in 1950's semis.... They are really heavy duty, and have provisions to bolt on a PTO too, in case you want to run something...compressor, generator, hydraulic pump, etc. Haven't seen many, but i don't frequent the older big truck wrecking yards.

If you can come up with a shifter to get the three rods to move correctly, the rest should be easy. I haven't seen what the original shifter looked like, but maybe that'll give me a reason to start looking. The mounts on mine look like 1" thick by 2" wide bar-stock...pretty heavy for a pickup. The guy I got mine from thought they went for about $600 and up.... I traded for mine and thats about what I have into mine. Curious what you are putting yours into... Oh...ratios are 20% underdrive- then 1 to1- then 20% overdrive, if memory serves me correctly...

Steve

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  8. jottoh12

jottoh12 Member

Watson linkage and...shift on the fly?

I am thinking of picking up a watson from a neighbor. It looks exactly like the pictures in this thread. I am wondering what others have done for linkage and also, if yours is up and running, if this hum-dinger will shift under load just fine and if is it a bit noisy or not. I am putting it in a wonder bread van behind a t19 ford toploader. Yikes do I need more gears for my tiny hercules diesel! Thanks!

9. PapeCAT

PapeCAT Member

I may have a watson as well. I'm not 100% as there are no identifiers on the unit. Here are the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jottoh12

jottoh12 Member

PapeCat, Were you able to identify this "brownie"? It sure is a sleek looking unit. IS it a 3-spd over/under? Just wondering...really nice pics!

11. jottoh12

jottoh12 Member

Whoops, I see by quoting your post, the pics were added to my reply! Sorry guys...Is this a lipmann?