Distributor problem

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by put-put, Nov 3, 2007.

1. put-put

put-put Member

Guys and Lady,
    my distributor was eating pts about every 200 miles. first set the bakeolite tab wore out. 2nd set the points closed. Then i had to adjust the points 3 times in about 8 mi to keep it running. i figured the bushing in the distributor were bad, but it didn't seem to be wobbling. I order a rebuild and installed it and lined the distributor case and rotor up with the previous unit. I have an alternator and a/c unit, so i can't rotate the engine using the fan belt. i have to crank the engine around. I have cranked it over at least 3 times and can't get the timing mark to line up wiht the #1 wire location on the distributor.

HELP!

How many rotations of the distributor to one on the flywheel? 4?

thanks,

2. Chiro

Chiro Member

Two rotations of flywheel to one rotation of distributor. Did you check the dwell with a meter when the engine was running? Variation of dwell when engine is running I believe will indicate distributor bushiing wear. Bakelite rubbing block on point set will wear out if not lubricated. Standard brand points come with a little piece of felt attached that is impregnated with lubricant to lubricate the cam in the distributor.

Andy

3. put-put

put-put Member

When i originally set the pts i checked them with a dwell meter. I didn't chekc them on the side of the road with a meter, guage only. i installed the teflon point set the second time and put grease on them. i now have a standard set, but the rebuidl distributro had teh pts set at .019. i can't find the round timing mark on the fly wheel that corresponds to timing on the #1. i have rotated the distributor at least 6 times

4. GrandpaGlenn0

GrandpaGlenn0 Member

Hi, 2 suggestions-- 1- take the plugs out or at least loosen them-- then you should be able to turn the engine by hand. 2 Note the position of the number one plug wire in the dizzy, then turn engine till rotor points to it-- you should see the round timing mark. if not, you are probably 180 degrees off, turn the engine till the rotor comes back to #1-- now you should see the mark. It may be very faint so when you find it, put a little dab of White out or some bright paint on it!
    Hope this helps.

5. put-put

put-put Member

Glenn, i tried what you suggested. Even though i pulled the plugs, i still could not turn the motor using the Alternator and a 1/2" rachet. i ended up putting the truck in 3rd gear and pushing it so the flywheel would rotate. i used teh rotor location to get to the alignment of the 1st cylinder adn the flywheel. I found a small mark on the flywheel, which i assume is the timing mark ( i watched it all the way around trying to find the indentation). It was the only mark near the rotor location. After aligning everything,the truck still will not start.

It appears to have gas in the carb, and the plugs fire.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Dizzy Installation (6 Cylinder Engine)

Putt-Putt ;

Don't feel bad ! I screw this up every third time I do it :rolleyes:

Remove the flywheel scatter pan and crawl underneath your truck , wire brush , paint stick or lumber crayon in hand ~ USING GLOVES , rotate the engine (plugs out , dig) untill you find the BB pressed into its hole , near it will be a faint chevron or triangle stamped into the flywheel ~ this is the TDC mark , wire brush this area of the flywheel until it's clean and shiny , mark a circle closely around the ball bearing (ign. timing mark) and fill in the triangle with white paint (SWMBO's white nail polish if you're brave enough) , the chalk or lumber crayon etc. .

Now , turn the engine untill you can see the triangle in the timing window above the starter motor and LEAVE IT THERE ! .

Go topside and install the dizzy , be aware you'll need to line up the oil pump drive slot so as the dizzy slips in and turn that tiny bit , it all lines up and fits to-gether. the rotor _should_ point 90° away from the engine ~ directly at the inner fender . all set ? now , place the dizzy cap on and insert the plug wires , going _clockwise_ in this order : 1 , 5 , 3 , 6 , 2 , 4 .

If it doesn't start now , or backfires when you try , rotate the engine untill the triangle is lined up again and remove the cap , if the rotor now points towards the engine , remove the dizzy and rotate _it_ not the engine , 180°
    and re-insert it , it'll now start so you can set the dwell & timing dynamically .

This is a quick post , I've written it all in detail befre if this isn't helpful .

I hope you get it going , fear not , it's the missing 180° and once you find it , all will be well again and you'll know for future use .

7. put-put

put-put Member

Nate,
    thanks! everything makes sense to me. i do have a few questions. What's SWMBO? I assume the dizzy is the rotor button? If not, it must be the distributor cap (looking further in your writeup, i think it's the cap.) What is the oil pump drive slot? My truck is a 54 235. 90 degrees is as measured from pointing forward, so it's as you say pointing at the right fender well.
    The strange thing about this is that i was careful to line up the distributor housing, using the post for the coil wire and the rotor shaft.
    By the way, what do you suggest for alignmen to fthe vaccum advance?
    The other thing that is sticking in the back of my mind is that the truck just "died" on the road. The engine didn't cough or jump, it just quit running. It did this twice before i called my son to tow us home.

8. put-put

put-put Member

Unbelievable, it's 180 out!! I just can't figure out how it got that way. I'll finish the rest of the task in a while and let you know how it comes out.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

There I Go Again !

' SWMBO ' :

She

Who

Must

Be

Obeyed

! :rolleyes:

' Dizzy ' shop slang for the distributor .

When you remove it , the bottom of the shaft has a flat tab on it and the oil pump drive in the bottom of the block's hole , is slotted ~ as the drive gear it can be tricky to make them both line up ' Just So ' ~ be careful as the engine can run just fine but if the dizzy isn't all the way in , the oil pump won't spin and no oil pressure..... very bad . use a bent up coathanger to turn the oil pump drive to where it needs to go .

The vacuum advance mechanism should be positioned so the vacuum chamber has sufficient space to not hit the cylinder block .

If you buy a factory shop manual , all this and much more is clearly shown in the generous photographs.... pretty good value for $30.00 .

Or , look in the photos section and print some out showing the engine details you need .

Opps ! goota run , my son is here .

10. put-put

put-put Member

Nate, after i rotated the rotor 90 deg and started the truck it immediately backfired. Does this mean that it's off 180 or off just a few degrees? Your original note says that this will happen at 180. Originallly the truck would not run at the original setting.. Perhaps there is something else going on. I guess the logical nexxt step would be to go back 180 and try to start it again?
    thanks, PUT-PUT

11. put-put

put-put Member

Nate, i have the 54 Chevrolet Shop manual. Pics are okay, but not nearly as many as i would like. Are you refering to that one or another?

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Shop Manuals

Well ;

Each one has different pix , sometime the best pic for what you need to see , isn't in the section covering what you're working on so flip through it carefully and look at all the various pix . some of the pix are kinda washed out , even in my originals .

I hope you got it running by now ? .I was trying to respond to messages last night but the borroed 'puter I was on had Firefox and it kept bouncing me off....

13. mel 55_1

mel 55_1 Member

Nate's dead right about getting the flat tab on the bottom of the distributor shaft slotted into the oil pump drive. If you don't, everything can work fine but no oil pressure and that's v bad news. I have that scar.

14. put-put

put-put Member

Nate, don't have it running yet. Grandkids arrived and we went 4 wheeling on the ATV. Riding dirt mounds and thru mud puddles took priority. Today and tomorrow i have to work,so maybe Wed i'll get it together.
    i'm thinking that when i put the rebuild dizzy in i got the housing rotation off enough to keep it from starting. If that's so, then the timing mark alignment should solve the problem.

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Priorities

.....Looks like you've got 'em in order .

Carry on . ;)

16. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Oh Yeah!

Let's see! Play with grandkids or work on old truck with a quirk? HMMM! Yep, let's crank up the 4-wheelers. In my case, it's have the grandson come over and run the model trains and say "Grandpa, make it go faster!"

As long as he's around, I'll never get old!:D

17. put-put

put-put Member

Yea, first they run you down, then they crank you up and a hug and a smile!!! Love to see that little guy laugh when we go thru the mud. on the way up the sand hill, he says "UP, UP, UP!!"

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Playing With...

I don't yet have any grandkids (that I know of) .

When my son was in short pants , he'd come out to play with me on my old trucks and Motos etc......

Prolly why he's a mechanic now and a good racer too .

I've dated many women who had Grandkids , the neat thing is : when you get tired , you can just send 'em back home again , all happy and spoiled :p

19. put-put

put-put Member

Nate, based on your language you must be a former Navy guy?

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Not Military

...Although all Military personnel have my undying gratitude and respect.....

No , I'm just an old Yankee , born & bred . I learned much when I was " in " elsewhere .