Which transmission with a 216

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Volker, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Volker

Volker Member

Hi from Germany,

i bought a 46 Chevy PU 1/2 ton 2 month ago in Texas and the Truck arrived Germany without dents last week. (-god save the shipping companies-)
    The PU has an original 216, runs very smooth but the transmission is a manual 4-speed and makes a lot of noises in 1st, 2st and 3rd gear. I will try to hold the original condition of this Truck but the transmission is too bad for streets in Germany. I need a little bit fun when i drive for that reason i need a new transmission.
    Could you help me with information about manual 3-speed transmission which fits on a 216 without problems. ...and 65mph is enough for this old lady.

Volker

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Rant time!

You Euorpeans need to stop taking our trucks away. Especially if they are from Texas!

Just joking with you:D

Any 3 speed transmission from the early '40's to mid '50's will bolt on directly to a 216 with no modification. The only rub is that they are column shifters, so you will have to make sure that you have the hardware neccessary to put a "three on the tree" shifter together or else fabricate some kind of acceptable floor shifter.

I don't know about whether or not modern trannies would work, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You might try JimC arter's as he had some of those N.O.S. '41 ~ '46 truck trannies awhile ago .

I bought one from a guy here in So. Cal. and will try to find his name .

I had a '39 tranny in my '46 3100 picup when I bought it .

If you take your old tranny apart and replace the idler shaft and roller bearings plus properly shim the cluster gear with shims from Chevs Of The 40's in Washington state , it'll prolly be good to go but once these serise of trannies get passt a certain stage they'll make a shrieking sound that changes pitch as you accellerate... BT,DT . :rolleyes:

Parts for these do turn up on E-Bay ya know... it's a really simple tranny to repair , no special tools needed .

It uses 90W gear oil BTW and wil shift better with synthetic oils in there .

4. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

One thing I remember when I changed out my trans to a SM420 in my 46 was the bolt pattern on the early trannies are different. Plus the pivot for the brake and clutch is mounted on the bellhousing. It can be done but it requiers alittle fab work. Chris

5. Volker

Volker Member

A lot more than the PU

Kens 50 PU- Just joking with you-

I laughed too but i laughed louder about your address. The PU comes from Brenham, 50mi away from you.
    The German People likes to help to restore the crazy old american cars.:cool:

The PU isn't the only Car what i have restored since 2000. Enclosed small pictures from the PU and the other Cars. All Cars in absolute original condition and frame off restored. It's cold and boring in Germany's winter and i need a lot of activity.

I think, we hear often next time.

Attached Files:

• 46-1.gif
      46-1.gif
      File size:
      177.8 KB
      Views:
    • 57-1.gif
      57-1.gif
      File size:
      92.1 KB
      Views:
    • 57-2.gif
      57-2.gif
      File size:
      115.9 KB
      Views:
    • 57-3.gif
      57-3.gif
      File size:
      122.2 KB
      Views:
    • 72-1.gif
      72-1.gif
      File size:
      107.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Mag sie auch noch so schon sein!!

Wunderbar! Fantastisch!

7. Volker

Volker Member

in german

Hey,

so far away and speak german?:rolleyes:

We are since 2001 every year on vacation in the US and back from California last week. Fire in California - it wasn't me
    We plan to start our vacation next year in Houston. Meet together possible.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  8. Volker

Volker Member

transmission

Thank's for information. I thought also about the sm420 but it's very hard to find in Germany. A lot of custom-worker use a muncie. If your hear from a sm420 or similar for a good price which fits in my Truck, please let me know. Shipping to Germany isn't a problem. Mechanical change from floor to column shifter isn't difficult. i've a hammer and a drill :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  9. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I can't promise you good weiner schitzel

But we can have a good chicken fried steak! If you do plan to come to Houston, I'd love to meet you!

10. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Volker:
    Chicken Fried Steak is the Texas equivalent of wiener schnitzel.

Drop by Houston on a Satuday evening and I'll buy dinner at Strack's, a local joint owned by a German Immigrant family on land they've owned since 1846. Pretty good Chicken Fried Steak. Maybe we'll even invite Ken. Then do the local Saturday Night SHine & Show.

11. Volker

Volker Member

Chicken?

Hello Bill,

we were last year in Corpus Christi, San Antonio and Austin. Also i can say i've seen a part of Texas :D
    Chicken isn't the right thing in Texas. A full rack is better.
    I told with my wife and we will start the plan for our next vacation in the next year. Till February i have to restore the truck. Therefore if you hear about a transmission, let me know. My privat Mail is in my profile.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Muncie SM420 Transmission

The Muncie SM420 tranny is a floor shift just like your current one except it's a much heavier duty design and has a compound low 1st. gear you'll only need when hauling heavy loads up ramps or in parade duty .

It has the same 1:1 direct drive ration in top gear too .

-Nate

13. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

Volker, before you come to Texas, rent a movie titled "Schultze Gets the Blues". It is German, and Shultze wins a prize that sends him to Texas to play his accordian.

You will then be fairly well oriented, or disoriented, about Texas and the US Gulf Coast. I had to read along as the movie is in German. There are many of German settlements in Texas.

Jim

14. Volker

Volker Member

picked up

Today I picked up the Truck from the shipping company and brought she at home. The transmission is for the waste box (very loud clicking noises). Therefore i need your help. I'm looking for a rebuild tranny (floor shift and synchro) if possible.
    If everybody hear about a tranny please inform me.

THX
    Volker

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Rebuilt / New '41 ~ '46 Trannies

I allready told you where to find it.....