56 3200 with sbc and muncie m21

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by old red, Mar 31, 2008.

1. old red

old red Member

Hi fellows. 1ST time on the form. I jusst purchased my truck last summer. It runs,looks, and has been reliable so far. To keep it that way I just replaced my front brake shoes and am waiting for the brown truck to deliver my tapered roller front wheel bearing set that I ordered. My question is what type of frame crossmember for trans should this truck have (if any) for my setup, 350 sbc with muncie 4-speed? There is currently no trans crosssmember at all. :confused:

2. old red

old red Member

Ithink may have answered my own question. I do have a crossemember, forward near the rear front leaf spring mounts. I saw a picture of the same steup on E-Bay of the under a truck for sale. I believe the ones I see for sale in Classic Parts and other 56-59 catologs that mount farther back aare for Turbo 350-400 conversons.
    If am wrong plears let me know. Thanks OOld Red

3. ljw

ljw Member

I DON'T BELIEVE THAT ANY 4 OR 5 SPEED REQUIRES A CROSS MEMBER AT ALL. tHE ORIGINAL GRANNY DIDN'T USE ONE,AND MY RICHMOND 5-SPEED HANGS THERE ALSO. i BELIEVE A MUNCIE IS SHORTER THAN A RICHMOND-SO A SUPPORT PROBABLY WOULDN'T BE USED.