Power Steering Conversion on a '65

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by atagurl65, Nov 19, 2003.

1. atagurl65

atagurl65 Member

I'm in the planning & research stage of my rodstoration...so...
    Here's my question:
    Can I keep the steering column that is original and add a power steering pump? What else do I need to make this conversion happen?

Someone told me I could possibly go to the salvage yard and find an old truck with a power steering set up and just pull it off and use it...any thoughts? good idea since I'm on a budget with this project...but any serious drawbacks?

I'm new to mechanics & this entire process...and I'm asking away here! Glad to have found this forum!

Thanks in advance atagurl:*
    1965-Chevy-Longbed-Fleetside
    1st-rodstore-project-ever!

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

RE: Power Steering Conversion on a

Check out this article from Custom Classic Trucks. What you MUST do is pick up a REZ Engineering kit. The bracket is imperative to do this conversion safely. When it comes to steering and braking, don't go the cheap route. Do it right !

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/techarticles/84378/

Dennis

3. bk65

bk65 Member

RE: Power Steering Conversion on a

I used the upper steering shaft from a 60-63 and the lower half from a 67-72. They fit together fine and gave me the collapsable lower shaft. I had the luxury of wandering through a salvage yard that had plenty of both series of trucks and after a few tries found a combination that fit together properly and was the correct length. There seemed to be several different style of steering shafts for the 67-72. My original shaft was just a straight shaft, no flex joint or collapsable safety section. Had do redo a previous backyard power steering conversion. You know it was a quality job -- only three of the four mounting bolts were used and those were Ace hardware grade 2 specials. One REZ kit later and it now goes where I point it.

4. tech1

tech1 Member

RE: Power Steering

Yes you can use that original coluum. We have a power steering kit for that truck that is a 76-979 it adapts a late model not included, 68-84 Chevy 2WD power steering box to your truck $59.95 give us a call for more details. 1-800-741-1678