Inner Cowl Panel

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by f4fantm2, Nov 20, 2005.

1. f4fantm2

f4fantm2 Member

I'm halfway through replacing cab corners, rocker panels, left & right floor panels,and both inner and outer cowl panels on my '50 3100 truck. The original right inner cowl panel has square nuts around the large opening which tells me there's supposed to be a panel attached there. It makes sense, since the outer cowl panel has vents, and I would think there would have to be a way to close that off in cold weather. If the panel was ever there, it's gone now. The drivers side has a vent door that opens and closes from inside the cab. I can't find a replacement panel in the CD catalog for the other side. Anybody know where I might get one? Thanks for any and all assistance or advice.
    fantm2

2. Brian

Brian Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-05 AT 01:19 PM (CST)]The hole is what the deluxe fresh air heater bolts to, and draws in air through the vents you describe. Hence the name "fresh air". You can either get such a heater, or I may have the panel. It was on my truck, and I removed it to install a heater I refurbished. I will try and find it, but no guarantee I will locate it

3. f4fantm2

f4fantm2 Member

Thanks, Brian. I'll probably stick with the standard heater, but it's good to know what that hole is for. As I said, there was no panel there, but some previous owner had bondo'ed over the vent on the outside, I guess to stop the draft. The replacement inner cowl panel doesn't have holes, so I may just use the old one for a pattern, drill the holes, tack the nuts on the backside and fabricate a panel, in case I ever run across a frsh air heater and decide to use it. Thanks again for the info.