transmission and diff gear oil

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by cochran, Oct 25, 2008.

1. cochran

cochran Member

So I have been searching the forums and it appears most people like the straight 90w oil in their transmission and diff.... well the bad news is in Denver it appears none of the regular shops are carrying the 90w stuff. I can get 85-140. Can I use that in the transmission? I was planning on using the 85-140 in the diff. I want to use the same oil in the diff and transmission. What do you guys recommend.

2. Chiro

Chiro Member

I use synthetic oil in EVERYTHING in these trucks and all my vehicles (AMSOIL severe gear in the tranny and dif.). It can't hurt and IMO it stops wear dead in it's tracks.

Yes, you can use the 85-140.

Andy

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Like The Man Said

Yes , use the synthetic gear oils , I can still find 85W-90 @ Pep Boys , Kragen etc. but no matter , just be sure to have the truck jacked up and safely blocked _level_ when you're re-filling it and pup it in slowly as it'll burp out before it's truely full , has to slurp through the rear main bearing and fill the U-Joint cavity too .

Hunt up a magnetic drin plug , it'll keep the SWARF from wearing out the tranny , it needs a 1/2" NPT thread one .

4. cochran

cochran Member

Ok, after doing WAYYYY too much research. I believe I am going 85-90 in both. If this is a bad idea please let me know. But it appears to be what everyone else is doing.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

DO IT !

Just remember to crawl underneath and CHECK it every month or so even if you don't drive it .