Brake Parts not matching

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by PhotoMatt, Jan 6, 2009.

1. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Member

Hello, I have a 1947 3/4ton truck. When I order brake parts for it (master cylinder and slave cylinder rebuild kits) they are not the right parts. Doing some research the parts I need are from a 1/2 ton truck. What is up with my truck?

2. Wolf

Wolf Member

who knows what the previous guy put on the truck they could have been some other parts. one nice and bad thing bout these trucks is that you can rig up just about anything to work with them!!!

got any pics of your ride..

and oh yeah welcome!!! lots of good people here that are willing to help you out

3. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Member

I guess that must be what has happened. I will try to attach a pic.

Attached Files:

4. BIG CHEVY 3600

BIG CHEVY 3600 Member

My understanding is that the brakes on the 3/4 are the same as the 1/2 ton. My assumption is your 47 is a 2nd not a 1st.

5. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Member

I'm confused? I thought that 1st and 2nd's were only in the 1954 & 1955 model years. Are there more? My truck came from Oakland Ca. in July of 1947. Can there be a 1st & 2nd that early in the advance design? Or did they use parts from the previous art deco styling?

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Huck Brakes

Hi Matt ! .

Not to worry , all '37 ~ '50 Chevy trucks came with Huck brakes (notice how ' Huck ' rhymes with " suck " ? you'll find out why when you drive it...

Anways , no the differance between a 1947.1 and a 1947.2 truck is : the .1 was a streamliner from the '41 ~ '47.1 series then came out the newfangled AD '47.2 series... bodies are totally different but the brakes (and most of the running gear's internals) are the same or bolt right up .

If you post a few pix of your brakes sans wheels , someone here will know right away , many of these find old trucks were updated to 1951> Bendix brakes as they're much better and ther parts are cheaper & easier to find too

~ that reminds me : DO NOT TURN THE BRAKE DRUMS !! :eek: they're prolly too thin allready and turning them only makes brake fade a reality , you don't want to learn about it :eek: they don't make new Huck brake drums anymore .

I'm sure you know to only take apart ONE side of brakes at a time as you'll be chasing parts for a while and will prolly forget how some little part goes back in , so having the other side to cheat and peek at , makes you look smart .

My memory is fuzzy but it's possable there was a brake RPO with larger cylinders...

BTW : my '40 AD shoptruck (beater but loved) was also made in the Oakland , Ca. truck assembly plant , as there was a HUGE truck assembly plant in Los Angeles , I wish my truck could talk and tell me how it came to So. Cal.....

7. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Member

Here is a photo of the rear brakes on my '47. unfortinatly the front brakes on both sides are already apart. The slave cylinders were removed for rebuilding.

Attached Files:

8. Zig

Zig Member

Welcome!

Thanks for the pictures! Brings back memories...

Good luck with your project. These guys can help you with anything.

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Brake Pix

O.K. , those look like Huck brakes to me....

Time to go to a brake jobber and simply buy loose cups , they're sold individually .

As it's an 8 lugger I'm guessing the cylinders are slightly larger diameter than the 1/2 tonner ones are...

10. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Member

I would like to thank everyone for their advice and help. Yes the rear cylinders are a little larger,1 3/8 for the rear and 1 1/4 inner diameter for the front. I found rebuild kits from NAPA. The front kit came with the end caps(which by the way are the same size as the rear) while the rear kit came with new pistons. Try to figure that one out? I will not be able to give updates as to how everything works out because of a family emergency back east. The weather sucks back there. Matt ,Thank's again everyone.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

OT : 1980 Caddillac Commercial Car

O.K. , I know there's lots of guys here who'll know this car better than I and it's joining my stable as soon as I can break into it and drag it home so please , any information or advice is greatly appreciated ....

BTW : the commercial conversion was done by S & S .