3/4 ton brake drum

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 65 c-20, Jul 21, 2008.

1. 65 c-20

65 c-20 Member

hello! first time on forum.
    This is my first classic truck, got it at junk yard. cannot believe some gave this truck up. Pulled rear tire and came apon this. Seems that you have to pull axle to get drum off. Can any one enlighten me or give some info on this? thanks

Attached Files:

2. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

welcome to the forum!! sorry, im no use to you on this one.

3. joe231

joe231 Member

pull those 8 bolts on the very outer edge, that is your axle, the axle will then come out, you will see the spindle (tube with threads on it) the should be 2 flat nuts with square cut outs around the perimeter and a lock ring between them, should see a couple of the tabs on the lock ring bent up into square cut outs on the outer nut, bend them flat and invest in a spindle nut socket at your local parts store ( you can do it with out, but makes it much easier). once you get the nuts off, the whole drum/hub assembly will slide off.....make sense? once you do it one time you will be a pro

and welcome aboard

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  4. 283 man

283 man Member

welcome to the forum 65c-20:)..

5. 65 c-20

65 c-20 Member

thanks joe231!
    very glad to be here.

6. joe231

joe231 Member

no problem, hope it helps ya....i've done a couple million of those (seems like it anyway), not sure if i have done one this old...might be the same
    could also be an over-grown hex nut

linky

nother one

think you need this socket

7. tiggamonsta

tiggamonsta Member

Based on the pictures in my 63 chevy shop manual the drum slides over the studs and center hub. I am sure it is rusted on pretty good, by the looks of your picture. The instructions read as follows.

1. Raise rear of vehicle and place on stand jacks.
    2. Remove wheels, back off brake adjustment, remove three drum retaining screws and remove brake drums.

From the photos it looks like the screws are into the ring the studs come out of. Wish I had my scanner setup.