steering column wiring

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by BamaJohn66, Feb 27, 2005.

1. BamaJohn66

BamaJohn66 Member

I am going to install a 87 chevy 1500 tilt steering column in my 66 1/2 ton,does anyone know the color codes to the wiring on the 66 original column or the 87, the 87 has the ignition switch on it as well as wipers,dimmer switch,cruise,wiper/washer etc, not going to use it all but would like to hook up the basics, havnt explored it yet,trying to make it easy on myself before i start.

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

I recommend that you pick up a column harness connector from a speed shop. Flaming River, IDIDIT , etc carries them too. $15 and it will make the conversion that much easier.

In the 64
    Yellow Dark green and brown all connect to the Stop & Tail Light Harness. Dark green is the right rear directional, yellow the left. The brown is the Brake lights.

White goes to the brake light switch

Purple to Fuse panel

Dark Blue to Right Directional
    Light Blue to Left Directional
    Black goes to the horn relay

Just match the colors from the column to the same colors on the harness in the truck.

DVal

3. BamaJohn66

BamaJohn66 Member

Ok so im feeling a little stupid (good ole trial n error)The column turned out to be an 88 I had which turned out to have the shifting ear on the fender side of the engine bay and not facing the engine,so I headed back to the junk yard and found an 83 column,please make note,if it has the dimmer,washer/wiper,cruise,etc on the column it wont fit under the original parking brake bracket due to all the switches mounted on the lower column,The 83 needed a little trimming (1 1/4 inch)from the plastic collar below the metal shifting collar so it would fit up under the dash,I used two flat washers as spacers where the e-brake lower bracket mountsa to the top,if you dont do this you will damage the igniton swith on the brake pedal hanger,and the brake pedal will go down and not come back up by itself,the wiring was a stated above color for color worked out fine,the ignition wires for the column switch had two hots that got tied together and ran to the hot wire to the old switch,purple off of the neutral safty switch went to the starter,the rest went to the other wires,the switch is just a distribution point for power.The hole in the dash bezel took some thinking but was filled using a 1" hole plug from the hardware store (metal)which I drill a hole in and mounted a matching radio knob on.unless you know these trucks you would never know the ignition switch was ever on the dash bezel as all the knobs look the same.hope this helps someone else.:)