front disc brake conversion

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by machinehead, Oct 17, 2003.

1. machinehead

machinehead Member

I've been looking at the prices of the front disc brake conversion kits in the aftermarket and they're all so expensive. I heard this last week that the early 70's -87 model chevys have the same motor cradle. If that is so then I should be able to bolt the cradle and suspension right up as a unit right? It would sure be a lot cheaper. I'm planning on upgrading to 5-lug anyway. If anyone knows for sure please let me know. Thanks.:eek:

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Yes, it is true. It's a complete crossmember swap, and is a bolt-in.
    The idler arm will need to be relocated, but that's about it.

Look for a doner that you can pull the entire crossmember, a-arms, center-link and tie-rods out of. If the doner has power steering, pull that too. With a REZ adapter, power steering is also a bolt-in.

Dennis

3. Biggy65

Biggy65 Member

I thought I could just change the spindles witht the disk brake.That I'd just unbolt it and bolt it back with new rubber brake lines and all.I still want to retain my six.Well this is what I've heard from other sites.

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-03 AT 01:01 PM (CST)]>I thought I could just change the spindles witht the disk
    >brake.That I'd just unbolt it and bolt it back with new
    >rubber brake lines and all.I still want to retain my
    >six.Well this is what I've heard from other sites.

The later spindles will not fit the ball joints on your truck. Nor will the tie rod ends. On the "other" site they probably also told you to take the A-arms and center-link, tie-rod ends and idler arm and bolt those on your truck. Will that work? Yes. But think about it this way. How many bolts to swap the entire crossmember, a-arms, centerlink and all? ( hint- 4) How many bolts to do it the other way ? ( hint - a lot more than 4 ) Which would be easier ?

Something to also consider. After doing all this it would be best to document it all for any future owners. That way if they need to do any work on the front end they won't be left to guess what the heck you did under there.

OR you could buy a kit the uses spindles that bolt up to your stock front suspension. See other site for details... ;)

Dennis