Rear for my 58 Chevy

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by 58 Chevy pickup, Jul 28, 2006.

1. 58 Chevy pickup

58 Chevy pickup Member

I need some feedback about a new rear that I want to put in my 58 Chevy. What I would like is a 12 bolt posi 3:73 rear. I've been told that this is not a good rear to use because of the C clips that hold the axles in place, your opinions? I've already purchased the disc brake kit for a 12 bolt rear and would like to use them. I,ve read that a 70 to 81 Camaro rear is pretty much an even swap, is that correct? If that's the case where can I find one of these rears? I've tried local junk yards without any luck. Does anyone have a rear that they want to sell? I'm located in Maryland. Thanks Les

2. 58 Panel

58 Panel Member

Les,
    You're behind the 8 ball pretty much hunting this rear end. Few were produced; for one thing most Camaros were lower performance & got the ten bolt housing, for another even fewer Camaros were standard shift & 3.73 is a standard shift ratio (except in trucks). The C clip issue doesn't bother me except when wheel hop is present (broken axles & spider gears) or on roundy round racetracks (side thrust issue). The one ray of hope I have for you is to hound the racer types. They often have scrounged sources & dug up such. They'll know of the rarity though, so get ready to part with some coin!

3. mcarrel

mcarrel Member

Rear Axle I used

I have a 57 with a 58 front clip. I used a Ford 8.8 out of a 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe. It is a 3.73 limited slip with disc brakes it is just the right width 59 1/2. I bought new axles to get the right bolt pattern and new brackets so inexpensive 94-2004 stock mustang disc brake parts fit. Let me know if you have any questions. My new Heidts 4-link came in today so I will be setting up the rear suspension in the next week. I hear the Ford 9 inch rear work well if you can get the right width. You can see my project here http://tagworld.com/azmark/

4. 57 restomod

57 restomod Member

I used an 8.8 too

Les, I used an 8.8 Ford rear too. They are a strong rear and they are plentiful at the wreckers. Mine is a 3:73 ratio and came out of a 98 Ranger 4x4 and has 10" drum brakes. There are a few ratios, I even saw a 4:11. I actually swapped the entire assembly of frame brackets, springs, brake cables and sway bar from the Ranger. I removed the 2 1/2" lift shims and moved the spring perches from on top to below the axles and moved each 5/8" inward because the 57 frame is 1 1/8" narrower than the 98 Ranger.

5. 58 Chevy pickup

58 Chevy pickup Member

Ford rear

The Ford 8.8 rear sounds like the way to go. Where did you get the chevy axles for the Ford rear and where they difficult to install? Thanks Les

6. mcarrel

mcarrel Member

Where I got my axles

Actually I am using a 5x4.5 bolt pattern not the Chevy. I got my axles from www.northracecars.com/ a real nice guy to deal with. Ask for Richard he was very helpful and should be able to make axles for you if he can't he will explain why and offer suggestions. He is very knowledgeable with the Ford stuff. Good luck. You can see my project here http://tagworld.com/azmark/

7. step1958

step1958 Member

i bought a 12 bolt leaf spring style out of 69-70 pickup six lug bolted right in didnt even have to change spring purches or re set pinon angle its 3;73 posi also !!!!!

8. Matthew

Matthew Member

I got a Ford 9" out of a 500 GT :cool:
    Bolts right in and the exact width i needed