Frame swap?

Discussion in 'Chassis & Suspension' started by 65Matt, May 10, 2008.

1. 65Matt

65Matt Member

I have a 65 C10 2wd and am looking to swap to a 4wd frame. I found a 1983 K20 suburban donor but unsure of total length of it. The info I found said the wheelbases were almost the same and I know I'll have to fabricate the mounts. What do you think? Also I went to go rent a tractor on a trailer and the guy told me I needed at least a 3/4 ton to pull it (that's why I found the K20). What's the difference between 1/2 and 3/4 and is it really necessary to go bigger? You guys are great! Thanks, Matt.

2. bonvo

bonvo Member

sorry i have no info but im considering the same thing let us know what you find out about the swap as for 3/4 vs 1/2 i know for a fact my 3/4 has a much beafier drivetrain from the motor back

3. SaLari

SaLari Member

Frame swap

I have joshes factory dropped sub frame and it is 2 inches lower
    it is really a nice set up. Team kawi also has a dropped set of nerfs. we cant buy them.

4. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Axles front and rear, ball joints, control arms and spindles are all heavier to withstand more weight.

don't think you will have much luck trying to get an 83 frame under a 65 truck. The rear kick-up is completly different. Getting the radiator core support to fit so that all the fenders, hood, etc etc, will line up properly would also be very difficult.

dv

5. GonicGM

GonicGM Member

73-87 1/2 ton and 3/4 frame are the same, only one ton is bigger. the rear spring length is 52" on 1/2 and 3/4 ton unless vehicle was optioned with C6P heavy duty chassis 8600 GVW. In that case you got 56" long rear springs, otherwise chassis still the same. You can see both sets of holes on any chassis. 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton have the same front end except 6 lug or 8 lug hubs, rotors, calipers and brackets. 1/2 and 3/4 ton used same transfer cases depedent on transmission option.

6. mikebte

mikebte Member

Not sure if this guy can help. But give him a call and see. Nice guy. And if he has any ideas i am sure he will share them with you.

http://www.e-zchassisswaps.com/

7. jwpa2

jwpa2 Member

I have a chassis question, on a 52 2 ton truck what is the width of the front end, like the inside of the tires, I an planning on buying a 52 2 ton and going to do a frame swap to a mid 80's 1 ton 2 wd frame.