235 Fuel Pump Leak

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Thunder54, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

I wondered why I kept smelling gasoline when I opened my hood. I figure the yellow stained on the Rochester leaks a lt maybe, I never saw any fuel any where.

Then yesterday, I was preparing to drive over to Orange (TX) to the Saturday car gathering, and I opened my hood with the engine running. I smelled gas again. Shut the engine off, and crawled under. There is was, fuel dripping from the center of the base of my glass bowled fuel pump.

This is a really old pump, so I carry a spare, and I switched them out, and went on to the show. Close examination of the site reveals a couple of things that I want to watch. Pictures included here.

Fuel has been obviously seeping out of my fuel pump for some time. This has resulted in the swelling and bulging of my oil pan gasket on the side where gasoline could get into it. It this eventually going to be fatal to this gasket?

Second, I really like my old glass bowled pump, are these fairly simple to kit, or should they be sent out to a real rebuilder? If so, who is reliable?

Enjoy my photos. The pump away from the engine is the one that I want to rebuild.

Jim:eek:

Attached Files:

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I think I got a repro from Jim Carter

3. Steve Katzman

Steve Katzman Member

Glass fuel pump

Jim, I also recently bought one from Jim Carter. Tried to get it from CP but it was on back-order. I believe they are readily available in most of the parts houses and probably easier to get a new one vs. rebuilding your old one. The one from JC was pretty cheap, something like $35.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Rebuild it !

They're super easy and the quality is far better on the original castings...

Don't forget to change the engine oil as leaky fuel pumps dribble raw fuel into the crankcase.... :eek: