Installing V8 into 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by penniwinkle, Sep 28, 2010.

1. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

I've finally gotten around to mounting a Chevy 305 with a Turbo 400 attached. I have a new engine cross-member and a new cross-member for the tranny. Some quick measurements seem to indicate a space problem between the stock cross member (the cross member at the back of the engine compartment where the rear of the old 6 cyl was attached - might be called the 'bell housing cross member). This member is rivoted onto the side rails of the frame on my truck. The turbo 400 will possibly just fit between this cross member and the firewall but will be close. I have seen on some of the truck sites that this cross member is cut out. I'm hoping someone will have some suggestions on this...I'm somewhat reluctent to cut it. The new crossmember I ordered (for the motor and tranny) bolt in - not welded and would not want to depend on them to secure the rails. Any recommendations would be apprediated.

2. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

On all modern day vehicles they don't use a mid mount on the engine tranny combo. Just cut the original cross member out then set your engine and tranny in together. Set the engine where you want it then tak Weld or bolt your motor mounts into place. Then you use your tranny cross member to hold the back of the engine up. your frame will be plenty strong without that original cross member....Big Tim :cool:

3. bowtiesr4me

bowtiesr4me Member

Thats the same way I installed mine.
    I welded the motor mount and bolted
    the tranny cross mount.
    (easier to remove the trans. when problems happen)
    Don't forget to angle your motor before welding the mounts solid.
    Good luck,

Mike

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Cut it out. It is not necessary with the other cross members.

5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

or even better....

Leave an inline 6 for Nate! Since the crossmember is riveted, if you have any uneasiness about "cutting it out", just drill/grind out the rivets, and remove it cleanly.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The RIGHT Way !

Is to hot up an InLine engine , they can easily be made to haul a$$ and the sound won't ever be mistaken for yet another (yawn) SBC) .

Just a thunk ya know , it's your truck so build it how you want .

7. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Did somebody say "the right way is to HOP UP a inliner"? :D I never get tired of this lol lol tims pics 025.jpg .......Big Tim :cool:

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Guilty As Charged !

You and I both know it's easily done .

Few ever need the V-8 they so lust for .

9. federale

federale Member

Re:V8

I did need the V8. When I bought the 53,she had a badly cracked block,I had an old Nova sitting around and one thing lead to another :)

10. willardgreen

willardgreen Member

Bet you Big Tim's 261 can smoke the 305, 327 & probably a 350. However the 6 aint cheap, nobody is willing to give away hand me down speed parts for the 6. The few, The proud, The expensive Inline 6s.;)

11. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

It's true my 261 does get up and run and I have embarrassed a few small blocks but my small block in my 61 is a whole lot faster....Big Tim 001.jpg

DSC00051.JPG :cool:

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Goddammitt Big Tim !

I'll say that '61 sure looks nice ! .

Out side _and_ under the hood .

13. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

v8 progress

Keep us posted on your progress Rodger
    The 235 is in fired it up the other day sounds good waiting for the parts house to get a manifold gasket in small exhaust leak paint it put the sheet metal back on than get her back on the road again
    Robert

14. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

v8 progress

Robert, glad to hear the 235 started and ran ok. She really ran good when I had it. Progress on the V8: Have cut out the crossmember, removed the rearend, have the new motor x-member ready as well as a tranny x-member but ran into a few issues. The brake lines were in the way of the new motor xmember and have had to 're plumb' all the lines. The rearend was fairly easy to remove but having some difficulty removing the e-brake cables (cannot reuse them on the new rearend I have - ther is a lot of rust and brackets don't want to let go). I fixed the leaking steering box and not sure if I will have to move it - I installed a set of 'block hugger' headers on the V8 and I installed the 'smaller' header on the driver's side. The steering box might just fit in the hole behind the header collector. I have also rewired the whole truck, installed new switches and bought aluminum 'guage inserts' for the dash (am going to use 2 1/16 guages and a 3 3/8 speedo - autometer). Am also installing a new floor shifter for the Turbo 400.

I hope to be finished by Christmas.
    Roger

15. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

v8 progress

By the way, the wife won't let me keep the old rearend in the back yard so I called Patricks (in Casa Grande) and he will take it off my hands (I hate to throw away parts). Guess I will give him back his ring and pinion gears (the 3.55) - guess I just rented them for a couple of years.

16. Zig

Zig Member

That's the way to keep after it!

Sounds like you have a plan there! The only thing you are missing are some pictures... ;)

Good luck with your deadline. I wish I had one!

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oldies But Goodies

I'm sure you could have given it to someone here....... or sold it perhaps .

18. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

re old rearend

You are right Nate, am sorry for not posting it for free here. I have not given it away as yet so if anyone wants it, come get it - its free. I don't think shipping it is a very good idea...not sure...maybe, if someone wants to pick up the tab. I strained a lot, just to get it through the gate into the back yard. I think it takes about 3 persons to handle the dam thing.

Some info, if someone wants it....its off a 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton and it has Patrick's 3.55 ring/pinion gears. The brakes are complete - shoes are about 2 years old with very few miles and the brake cylinders were rebuild then as well. The brakes have been disassembled but I have all the parts.

I will wait a week before removing it from the yard. If anyone wants it let me know right away.

Roger Pennington
    Queen Creek, AZ

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

There We Go !

I'd like it but no way I can get there in side a week.....

:(

I'm sure it'd fit in my '76 Jimmy longbed , I'd need help loading it too .

20. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

Pictures

Nate wanted to see some pictures....

Rearend out
    PA210005.jpg

Nothing in back...
    PA210003.jpg

Empty from front to back...
    PA210002.jpg

Some new brake line plumbing
    PA210001.jpg