Intermittent Wiper Switch

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Dollylock, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Dollylock

Dollylock Member

Do I have to change my wiper motor along with the dash switch to get intermittent wipers ?

2. Dollylock

Dollylock Member

Anybody? Even a SWAG might help.

3. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-03 AT 10:52 AM (CST)]Yes I think you do. not sure but it would make sense.if you look in a catalog for these trucks the wiper motor and washer pump are different from about 84'on up.Hope this helps.Karl

________
    Medical marijuana dispensaries

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  4. tech1

tech1 Member

The motor is the same so you don't have to change it. The switch and the delay control module effects whether you have delay or not.

5. Dollylock

Dollylock Member

Thanks for the info guy's,sounds like an easy upgrade!

6. nsula_country

nsula_country Member

Ah, the pulse wipers... Do not do it! Just buy a delay box from J.C. Whitney or someone else. The GM pulse wipers are a headache. I have them on my truck and they caused me 2 years of pain. The delay box is no longer in GM warehouses. ##### Truck and Chevy Duty do not carry them. The solid-state components cannot be easily cross-referenced. And when that little box goes haywire hang on.

My wipers started comming on one swipe at a time every 70 or so seconds. Somedays they would not. Somedays here and there. Then it quit all together. Had to wire a manual switch because the power goes into the delay control before the switch, remove the box and there is no connection between the motor and switch.

I spent 2 months on the phone, and waited 3 months to have my GM Parts guy tell me that he cannot find it in ANY warehouse. I had changed the switch twice, motor once (both items were fine). GM's list price was $78.00. Had to send it to south louisiana to have if rebuilt, cost me $72.00. Occasionaly they still pulse when not told to and even weirder just kick into high and go like the wind until you slide the switch to high and back. Still have a switch to cut the power when not in use and have to turn it on to use the wiper switch. Somedays it acts normal.

The things we do to keep these trucks all original... Must be love.

79 C20 Bonanza
    350/400 4bbl Q-Jet
    3.73 14-Bolt Corp.

7. 80chevybeater

80chevybeater Member

The latest chevy duty catalog has the module for intermittent wipers. It's 40 something dollars. Not sure if the switch was available the knob was. I have a switch I bought on Ebay has knob and is good but the module was bad. I paid 10.00 plus shipping for it. You can have it at my cost $10.00. See new catalog think they might carry a new one.