ignition ballast resistors

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by skiter1961, Nov 3, 2010.

1. skiter1961

skiter1961 Member

when converting from 6 volt system to 12 volt system why is the ingition ballast resistor required. ( or is it not) on chevy truck 1950 thanks for the help

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

all I can tell you is this; when I went from 6 to 12 volt the people at the parts house I used gave me a coil without the internal resistor and I got about 6 miles out of the truck before it back fired so bad it would not run but blow a 9 inch rip open in my muffler. The is the reason I have the petronic system and the flame thrower coil that pairs up with it. Vehicle electrical I understand Not. But My truck runs, and that is all that matters.
    So if you have a muffler then that is the reason the resistor is required so you keep them on the truck. :confused::D Hope this helped, it caused a frown for me remembering the cost to replace the damn muffler because some learning parts person forgot to give me a coil with an a internal resistor.

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

NAPA IC64 coil has the internal resistor. Pertronics is THE way to go. If you go pertronics, get one of their flame thrower coils also.

4. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

You need a ballast resistor because points can only handle 9 volts that's why the resistor drops the voltage from 12 to 9 volts. Any more voltage than that will burn up a set of points. An internally ballast coil will eliminate the need for a ballast resister. Also if you use a MSD box you will not need a ballast because the points only trigger the box and the box does the rest....Big Tim :cool:

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

To Further Define this :

A ballast resisted ignition coil should _only_ be used in conjunction with a by - pass circuit so as to improve cold weather starting , 99-44/100 % of the time , this means solenoid operated starters only .

Accell also makes good , high output ignition coils .

they're FUGLY yellow though .

6. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

Good point Nate and for those of you that aren't quite sure what Nate is talking about when you use a ballast resister you should run a wire from the unused terminal on the starter solenoid ( I think it has an "R" on it) to the coil side of the ballast. What this will do is give your points a full 12 volts when starting only and make it easier to start....Big Tim :cool:

7. skiter1961

skiter1961 Member

Thanks for all your help on this matter guys

8. bennythebull

bennythebull Member

coil ballast

need help have a 1960 c-10 it has a resistor or something connected to the coil bracket. can i get a coil with a built in one or where to get anoyher

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Coil

If it's a little cylindrical shaped thing , that's a condensor for the radio , you can ignore it as long as there's a condensor under the dist. cap .

Your 1960 C/10 should have a " Calibrated Resistance Wire " feeding the coil , this means that when the points are open and you turn on the key & check the voltage to the coil , it reads 7 ~ 9 volts DC .

If so , test the coil's Ohms across the two little connectors , it should be about 1.6 ohms , any cheapo Multi-Meter (like the $4 one @ Harbor Freight) can be used to check , I'd highly suggest testing both as in 50 years much can be changed and this is a common problem , mis matched coils & power voltage , wiring harness repairs or modifications often result in 12 VDC to the coil and if it has the original typ of coil , it'll burn up points really fast .

If , OTOH , you have a ceramic rectangular shaped thing on the coil , that's a ballast resistor and you'll need the 1.6 Ohm coil .

The Ballast resistor is a standard NON GM part , Chryslers , Dodges etc. used them so your FLAPS will have one .

TEST before changing parts ! .

I hope all this is helpful & not too confuddling .

10. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Nate: I think you'd read 12V when the points are OPEN and 7 ~ 9 volts when the points are CLOSED.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Ballasted Ignition

No ~ that's not how it works .

When you have 12 VDC to the coil , you need a 3 Ohm coil .

When you have 7 +/- VDC to the coil , you use a 1.6 Ohm coil .

Very important difference I learned the hard way .

12. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I agree, but 7 volts when the points are CLOSED, not when OPEN as you originally said. If the points are open the + terminal on the coil will read 12 volts no matter direct connection, ballast resistor or "calibrated resistance wire".

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I may have just learned yet another new thing.....

14. rira

rira Member

wiring with a pedal start

hi,
    so i converted my truck to a 12v, but how should i wire the balast resistor?
    the first part is easy, just from the ign. switch via the resistor to the + on the coil, but since there is no solenoid, there is no ~12v lead when starting only..

any ideas?

rob

15. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

16. Root2812

Root2812 Member

17. Root2812

Root2812 Member

I swear everytime I post a thread dies. You must all hate me or something. :p

18. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Yes, that is the classic ballast resistor. I prefer an internally resisted coil (NAPA IC64) and do away with the ballast resistor, they have a nack for intermittently failing and looking like many other problems.

19. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Thanks Chebby.

20. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Classic ballast resistor

You are so right about the failing. I pulled mine out the first day i had the truck.It caused overheating el. failure and to much resisant .

Martinius.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013