WARNING Mr Gasket Fuel Filter Probl

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by SilverFox, Mar 22, 2004.

1. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

WARNING Mr Gasket Fuel Filter Problems
    Long story, but I will try to keep it brief.

Mr Gasket Chrome fuel filters for 3/8" hose are having problems. They are leaking at the center junction, and the filter element is coming loose.

Use at your own risk.

In August I replaced my engine and at the same time replaced my fuel lines and fuel filter. I installed a chrome Mr Gasket in line filter and went on my way.

About 2 weeks later I had a puddle of gas forming on the intake manifold. My first thought was that the gas was boiling out of the carb and I decided to get a spacer. I checked the float level and it seemed a little high. I adjusted it and installed my carb spacer.

A month later I find once again gas puddling on the intake manifold. Talked with my carb man and he said that there must be some dirt in the needle and seat. Took the carb apart and sure enough there was some fine grit in the bowl. Cleaned everything out and went on my way.

Last week I finally decided that I should replace the fuel filter. I have cleaned out my needle and seat several times and cleaned out the carb bowl several times. I should have done this earlier, but I have a very thick head and could not believe I could have had a bad fuel filter.

I went to my local (Bellingham WA) NAPA store and got a Mr Gasket Chrome fuel filter for 3/8" hose. I installed the new filter and fired up the engine. Fuel was leaking out from the center seam. I took it back and got a replacement filter. SAME THING. I noticed that when I took the filter off, the element was rattling around inside the filter.

I finally settled on a NAPA steel filter. It doesn't look as nice, but it keeps the crap out of the carb and doesn't leak.

I sent a nasty email to Mr Gasket and informed my local NAPA store of the problem. The manager of the NAPA store is going to pursue the issue from his end. I have not yet heard back from Mr Gasket.

I asked Mr Gasket to pull all of these particular filters until they have the problem fixed. I don't know if they will listen to me, but what the heck...

Tom

2. eugene68

eugene68 Member

RE: WARNING Mr Gasket Fuel Filter P

A few years ago I used the same brand filter, on my 1969 gmc, within weeks it was doing the same thing. I pulled up to a car wash to wash my engine compartment, opened the hood and found it leaking except I was using a ##### which made my fuel line go out over the exhuast manifold,(not good, miracle it didn't catch fire) after changing my shorts, I converted over to a lot more steel fuel line, less rubber line, and threw that filter as far as I could, went with an "auto zone" filter.
    seems that Mr Gasket still has not improved it's filter since then.

no problems since with the zone filter.

eugene68

3. tech1

tech1 Member

Thanks for the info.

4. SilverFox

SilverFox Member

I have been doing a lot of research on what to use as a replacement filter. It looks like the Edlebrock In Line fuel filter that is brushed aluminum with a replaceable 10 micron filter will be my next choice.

Jegs has these listed as part # 350-8873.

Tom