Just a few things left

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by lapace, Oct 28, 2007.

1. lapace

lapace Member

Well the day has finaly come. Yes it's done. I would like youalls opinon.

Go to the forums photos section and seach for Larry_Herbert.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

! Wow !

A job well done Larry ;

Mind if I borrow it ? I have a load of cinder blocks I need to move..... :rolleyes:

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Awesome looking ride, Larry! It's a real beauty! Pat yourself on the back and then go out and enjoy it!

4. lapace

lapace Member

Nate

Sure, you can use my truck.:D But you must wrap those bricks in one layer of foam rubber 1" thick minimum. I have to load it for you.:p (Don't hold your breath.) And you can only move one at a time. Don't forget to buy your own gas. :rolleyes:

5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

I've got a better idea!

Nate can borrow my Tahoe and haul all of the cinder blocks he wants to in it, while you and me pick up chicks in your ride! Then, we'll have a BBQ and invite Chiro over to straighten out Nate's back and show us how to BBQ "breathers" (Sorry Andy, I just can't let it die!!")

6. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

Really swell truck Larry.

Nice job!

Jim

7. Zig

Zig Member

What a fantastic job, Larry! I love the wheels and tires! That gives me a good idee of what I'm wanting to do. Looks like all you have left is to drive it!

8. lapace

lapace Member

You are right Zig. But as with all of the good things on this earth there are problems. The day of the pictures he started missing and coughing, then he would run good, then he would cut off. I got out and fiddled around, got back in and he started. Limped it back to the house and started doing some checking. I may have a problem with the distributer. The dwell keeps changing by it's self. I took it apart last night but did not come up with an clear reason for this to be happening. Any one had a similar problem?:confused:

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Dwell Variations

Changing dwell is caused by the points gap varying , this is usually caused by the shaft's bushings being worn out ~ good used distributors are available cheaply .

Rebuilts are always a hit or miss proposition so DO NOT turn in your old dizzy untill you _KNOW_ the ' rebuilt ' one is any good .

You should always set the dwell angle using a meter , cranking the engine with the plugs out .

This will allow you to compensate a little bit for a slightly worn dizzy . set the dewll to 33° if you can .

Sometimes the breaker plate gets loose and causes varying dwell .

Lastly , you can use a 216 dizzy in a 235/261 and vice - versa , just match up the cap and rotor . this allows you to find a $15.00 dizzy that's greasy as all getout but is functionally perfect .

10. sloromon

sloromon Member

gorgeous! if i'm looking at the right photos, those are the exact colors i want to someday dress my truck in! (but with red wheels and some lettering on the doors). well done! looks awesome!!

jon

11. Chiro

Chiro Member

Invite me to a Bar-B-Que and I'll bring all the breathers I can carry and straighten out EVERYBODY'S back:D

Andy

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Andy's Road Draft Tube BBQ

....Should I begin collecting old southern hard pine boards from the beds of junked desert pickups ? :D

Mmmmmmmmm.......... :p

13. Chiro

Chiro Member

That would certainly give the breather tubes a nice flavor:D, but I would rather have those old boards attached to the bed floor of my pickup as it currently has no floor at all.

Andy

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Old Bed Boards

.....That's because you've never fallen through the rotted bed of an old pickup ~ lemme tell you , it really hurts .

of course , I'd not know about such things , oh no ~ not I ! :rolleyes:

:D

:eek:

-Nate

Andy Said :

I would rather have those old boards attached to the bed floor of my pickup as it currently has no floor at all.

Andy

15. lapace

lapace Member

Some folks afound here use OSB in their pick ups.:confused:

Just think of that fueling your BBQ.:eek::p

16. Zig

Zig Member

Some SOBs use OSB in their trucks? NFW! The glue that holds those strands together really puts off a nice aroma.

17. lapace

lapace Member

As I sit here watching John Wayne kill Japs by the hundreds the first thing I want to do is to thank all vetrans for what they have done. I also pray that those who are currently engaged come home soon, and that we not need their services in the future.

Next is a truck question about my 54. He is nice to look at but he is more show than go at the moment. Still has the miss to it. No wobble in the distibuter, cap was a little lose so I fixed that. Plug wires are new as with all wires on truck. Points and condenser are new.

What happens is going down the road it starts bucking and missing. I pull over, get out to look under the hood, fiddle around, get back in and it will run good then all of a sudden it happens again. This time I pull over and don't get out but just listen. Then he starts running good again. Dwell set at 33 degrees timeing at 5 degrees. If any of you have an idea as to what I can do I would be thankfull.

18. rfeldes

rfeldes Member

Not familiar with your truck but is sounds like a fuel filter getting clogged and then backflowing when you shut down and the clogging again.

19. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

I will offer a wild guess for what it is worth. Have you replaced the rubber hose from the gas tank to the metal tubing? I had a similar situation with a 68 Camaro that I had as a youngster. Nearly drove me crazy until I looked closely at the carb reservoir and saw tiny black specs. The hose was deteriorating internally. I changed the hose, cleaned the carb and never had another problem with it.
    Hope this helps.
    Gater

20. put-put

put-put Member

Larry, super job!! Another 54, what are your colors? THe photos are excellent, but i have a little trouble determining the color.

Congratulations!! Put-Put