Classic Parts Talk  

Go Back   Classic Parts Talk > Chevy & GMC Trucks by Year > 1947-1954

1947-1954 Discuss all aspects of your 1947-1954 Chevy or GMC Pickup

Old 12-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Blueflame236

Send a message via Skype™ to Blueflame236
Question How to convert a 6 volt horn to a 12 volts system

Hey, guys

I would like to use the old 6 volts horn and put it back in the engine compartment. My truck have the 12 volts converted electric system, but what do i need to do get this done?

Sinc. Martinius

Last edited by Blueflame236; 12-16-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Blueflame236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Flashlight

Location: Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smokies.
Absolutely Nothing!

Hallo Norway!

Your 6 volt horn will be fine connected to the 12 volt system. It will be louder then the 6 volt. The old system could carry more amps. As long as you don't lay on the horn for long periods I wouldn't worry about it.

Flashlight
Flashlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
ol' chebby

Send a message via AIM to ol' chebby
It will be LOUD. In instances where much horniness is needed, substitute traffic finger to keep the horn from burning up.

Advance Design Rescue...Bringin' 'em back, one body at a time.
ol' chebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
vwnate1

Thumbs up Just So !

Same as the 6 volt starter ~ it neds NO modification as long as you don't operate it for long periods of time (shouldn't do that anyways) it'll last forever .

' PASSION ' :

There are many things in life that will capture your eye , very few will capture your heart ~ those are the ones to persue .

Those are the ones worth keeping .
vwnate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Vankar

Another question

Hello everyone, I'm sorry to revive such an old thread but I think its better than making a new one.
I'm in the process too of installing a 6v car horn to my 12v system (this time for a 51 chevy car, which I think is the same process as for the truck) but I still have some doubts, first the horn cable is really thick compared to the current modern horn installed, which makes me think it might burn or something, do you guys recommend installing it directly to that cable?. Second, about loudness, is it possible to install something between this cable and the horn to leave it at 6v? or maybe the horn relay has something to do with it?.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	horn.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	6309  
Vankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
federale

Re:Horns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankar View Post
Hello everyone, I'm sorry to revive such an old thread but I think its better than making a new one.
I'm in the process too of installing a 6v car horn to my 12v system (this time for a 51 chevy car, which I think is the same process as for the truck) but I still have some doubts, first the horn cable is really thick compared to the current modern horn installed, which makes me think it might burn or something, do you guys recommend installing it directly to that cable?. Second, about loudness, is it possible to install something between this cable and the horn to leave it at 6v? or maybe the horn relay has something to do with it?.
As Nate says,the horns will be fine. I still have the 6 volt dual horns on my 53 hooked to 12 volt, they work fine and are LOUD!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
ccharr

Buy a repop 12 V. that looks like the 6 V. style.
'52 3804 w/h 9ft. bed,
'56 CJ5
'60 CJ5
Misc. Tractors

Last edited by ccharr; 10-03-2010 at 10:28 PM.
ccharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
Flashlight

Location: Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smokies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankar View Post
There are voltage reducers that are inexpensive to buy. I do not think my 6 volt horn on a 12 volt system is loud by todays standards. It has a more Euro sound in my opinion. Go ahead and try it without, if you don't like it you can always put in a reducer. The old wires are thicker because they carried more amps but less volts.

Flashlight
Flashlight is offline   Reply With Quote