Reproduction Hood

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by oldyeller, Jun 5, 2012.

1. oldyeller

oldyeller Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the reproduction hoods they are making now for the 47 -54 chevy truck are any good ,how do they fix ,etc.
    i have a 52 and not sure to buy a repop or find a nice orignal . Thanks

2. Raz76

Raz76 Member

They don't make them like they used to. I would find a good original that are out there, and go from there. Im gonna try to use as many original parts as I can as far as the body goes.

3. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Here is a thread where the guy bought a reproduction hood and it didn't fit right. He ended up buying an original hood and was happier. I'm sure he will post up here one of these days. https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=17104

Where are you from? I happen to have 2 extra hoods laying around :)

4. My51

My51 Member

Root you are so right. I bought an aftermarket hood and it didn't fit. Like Root said, you are better off finding an original. Unfortunately for me I was already in the paint process when I had to change to an aftermarket hood because my original was to warped to bad to repair. The good thing is I believe Brother's is going to give me a full refund even after it was painted. A few things to look for if you buy one. First, the hinge threads were metric instead of standard. Second, they rolled the metal where it meets the cowl so that you can't get your 1/8 adjustment from hood to cowl. You can find a cheap original out there that you can fix for the $700 you will spend on an aftermarket.

5. oldyeller

oldyeller Member

Thanks for all the input it sounds like i will have to look for a orignal hood.
    thanks Mark

6. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Oldyeller, tell us where you live, as it might help you in finding an original hood close enough to you that shipping won't "eat your sack lunch!"

7. My51

My51 Member

Update: Brothers did refund my money on the bad hood and let me keep it. So now, what to do with it.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Scrap Hood

Consider standing it on end and using it as a palette for doodles or whatever...

In you're in Snow Country , weld a chain to it and use as a tobbagan .

9. tims37

tims37 Member

Find another hood weld them together and you got your self a boat

10. 1 Hotrod

1 Hotrod Member

or wait till winter and use it for a sled. I'm surprised you got a refund on it, they must have had problems with others and don't want the negative feedback.

11. My51

My51 Member

Hood

I think I got the refund because I had called originally on the metric threads on the hood. They were aware of that but had my call on record. They also had me send in the pictures of it not fitting to use as proof. I think they waited until they collected from the hood manufacturer before giving me the refund.