Installed 17 Gal LMC Rear Tank

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Ratnest, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

This morning I installed the LMC 17 Gal tank in my 66 Fleetside shortbed chassis. The galvanized tank came with sending unit and installation straps. I also bought the polished and keyed flush mount filler that is designed to be incorporated into one of the bed planks on the driver's side. The install was simple and I did not have to use the tank straps. The tank had two holes on each side that lined-up with factory holes in the lower frame lip. The area of the tank lip with the mounting holes was reinforced to provide extra strength and I chose to mount the tank directly to the lower frame rails using a rubber cushion between the frame rails and the lip of the tank. When the truck is completed, I figure only 2" to 3" of the tank will be visible below the bumper. It was necessary to shorten the tank's filler spout 1" and the flush mount filler will be shortened upon installion by 1 and 1/4". I will also have to shorten the rubber tube that connects the tank to the flush mount filler..but will wait till the bed is installed so measurements can be precise.

I think the LMC tank is a good product and is fairly priced. Time will tell. I know lots of you would not like to have the filler integrated into the bed floor...but it works for me.

Attached Files:

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks for posting.

Straps seem to be the OEM preferred method of mounting gas tanks, I think it may have something to do with flexibility during an accident? Straps are more forgiving, Bolts transfer load directly into the tank.

3. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Good food for thought. I may add the straps as a backup. Thanks.

4. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Ratsnest my filler is in the bed...if you can get by that big finger in the picture its just in front of the bed stake...LOL:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Oh man, the guy does all that hard work and you give him the finger :D

[​IMG]

6. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

That's slick and out of harms way. Tell me about the tailgate cables and brackets setup you have. I was planning on using a Mar-K unit but haven't bought it yet and it's quite expensive.

7. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Actually, out of harms way would be the gas filler neck outside of the pickup bed. Load the bed full of.... cord wood, dirt, furniture, whatever, and you can't fill the gas tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  9. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

Thanks...I might be able to use those in conjunction with male/female seatbelt latches and ditch the chains. The Ebay price is $19 with free shipping....fits my budget nicely.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

LMC Fuel Tank

Looks pretty good .

Is it lined ? .

Does it have baffles inside ? .

How thick is the metal ? .

I too , think that in bed fuel fillers are a poor choice , they're dangerous as well as inhibit the use of your truck as , well , a truck :rolleyes: .

Keep up the great works ! .

11. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

It is not lined and does not have baffles. The metal is thin, maybe 18 guage. I'm going to take Lakeroadster's advice and install the straps to take a little stress off the mounting bolts. I will post a couple photos when the straps are in place. It's so dang cold here (low single digits) that I'm taking a day off from the garage.

12. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

On the advice of Lakeroadster, I considered adding the tank straps for extra piece of mind. Here are a couple photos of the tank with straps installed. It can't hurt and the straps will augment the strength of the 4 mounting bolts.

Thanks again Lakeroadster for helping make the Ratnest even better.

Attached Files:

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Looking Good !

I'm concerned about the lack of baffles ~ when it's 2/3 or less full , you're going to feel the weight shaft as it sloshes 'round back there in the corners .

Good job that you remembered to place rub strips between the straps and tank .

14. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

My tank doesn't have baffles either. Did the stock tanks in these ole trucks have baffles? I remember hearing the gas sloshing around in the tank.

One advantage I have found is the weight of the fuel sloshing to the side helps to break the rear tires loose when doing donuts in the parking lot ;) And the amount it helps is directly proportional to the amount of fuel in said tank.....

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  15. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

If your tank was set up from the factory for F,I. back hole top, lt would have had baffles, the original tank used to drive me nuts listening to the gas slosh around, ah just turn up the radio....

Attached Files:

16. myoung73

myoung73 Member

I have a short box 1960 stepside. I want to buy a LMD tank. Is this the best option for a rear tank.

17. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

One moment for topic drift...

Lakeroadster, I like your hidden tailgate latches. Very much like the ones on my Kenworth. Come to think of it, I'm purdy sure I've got some of those extra layin' around here somewhere.

18. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

No more battlin' the rattlin' either. They're a bit unconventional, but so am I :p

19. Ratnest

Ratnest Member

You asked about a LMD tank...I assume you meant a LMC tank. I don't feel qualified to advise you on whether the LMC is the best option for your stepside. I did quite a bit of research before buying the LMC tank. However, based on comments from some experienced forum members I now wonder if I should have bought a tank with baffles. My main reasons for getting the LMC tank was that I could afford it, it was metal, and it came with all components needed for the install. Probably for twice the money ($400 or more) I could have bought a better tank.

Search "gas tank" in this forum and others...and review the very informative sticky by Woogeroo in this forum. You may find better alternatives.

20. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Here`s a link... http://www.c10trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202