need to identify this truck by VIN

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by nelson-ohio, Aug 13, 2014.

1. nelson-ohio

nelson-ohio Member

Ok, I've been looking at this truck for a while, it suppose to be a C10, but I would like to confirm somehow to make sure.

Some of the information I'm getting from the seller seems to contradict. He said it's a c10, but 2 pictures of these 2 cowl outer panels on C20 emblems, he said it's just pcs he got at a swap meet but should fit a C10. The bed panel he has is a fleet side, driver side bed panel is missing, but when I look up the VIN number on the title, it should be a step side. There is no VIN # to be found on the cab. He thinks the cab was replaced or redone and it's been painted over. So how do I check to make sure it's a C10 or a C20?

The VIN # on the title is C1445Nxxxxxx, which should be a C14 (C10), step side, 1965, Norwood production. Is it a problem if there is no VIN on the body? I'm not sure if the frame has been switched in the past and it's no longer a SWB or step side. Anything I can do to check and confirm which? I don't think it's C20, but not sure if this is a LWB or SWB. I was told you can swap between fleet and step easily.

So how do I check to make sure it's a C10 or a C20? It's most likely a C10, but I want to make sure there has the correct frame still on it so any parts I buy will fit as it should.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. nelson-ohio

nelson-ohio Member

got spoke measurements

Ok, this appears to be a long wheel base, the CC distance between the front and back wheel is 127". Also, it has the 8 bolt pattern wheel hubs, not sure if that was common.

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Problematic........

The VIN number will tell you if it was originally built as a C10 or C20. The "14" in your VIN indicates it was built as a 1/2-Ton, Standard Wheelbase, which is a C10.

If there is no VIN number on the cab that is a problem. The VIN number should be on a tag that is riveted to the drivers side door jamb, either the top of the jamb or the sides. That is what the DMV and police look for, if it isn't there you'll have issues getting it titled. If it has been painted over, but still visible, no big deal. If it is no longer there, again, that is a huge problem

There will be a partial VIN stamped on the frame rails if it is a Chevrolet (See Photo Below). The stamping is located on the top of the drivers side frame rail, in the engine compartment, just ahead of the motor mount cross-member. This partial number should match the cab VIN and the title VIN, if it doesn't, again you have a problem.

The wheel base length of 127" you listed is for a long wheel base truck, yet your title is for a standard wheel base (115")?

It has 8-lug front wheels (C20) and 5-lug rear wheels (C10)?

I'd be real nervous about buying this truck for anything but a parts truck based on the data you have provided.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  4. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

If no vin on the cab run away, or use for parts only.....there was a gentlemen on Chevy talk that restored a `62 imp that he had for ten years, body off, then he discovered that he had a differant vin on frame, being the honest guy he was he went to DMV to correct as the car was done and wanted to register it and drive it, They OHIO impounded the car, he got it back almost two years later partially disassembled and just tore up body/piant wise, they said he was good tp go and it was a DMV error........!

5. nelson-ohio

nelson-ohio Member

Good news - the VIN tag is still on the cab

it's at the top of the door frame, just as Mr. Lakeroadster said. It does match the title VIN, so we are good there. I've decided to buy the truck. Can not find the VIN on the frame. The frame may not be original, it maybe a C20 frame that was swapped by PPO. But after looking over some pictures and things, I actually like how a LWB looks with bigger wheels and sits higher. I guess all the parts from a C10 LWB should fit a C20 frame LWB, or not always? Maybe someone has done this before?

Some additional questions I will post in a separate thread. Don't want to get the topics all mixed up. Have so many things I want to do.

6. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Definitely good news with respect to the VIN tag on the cab.

FYI: There is no difference with respect to "bigger wheels / sits higher" LWB (long wheel base) vs SWB (short wheel base), at least not when they left the factory.

It has a coil spring rear suspension, correct? If it's by chance a GMC frame it won't have the VIN stamped on the frame.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  7. nelson-ohio

nelson-ohio Member

Thanks for your input guys

Lakeroadster, you used to be in OH? I'm here in Columbus area.

I want to put something like a 30" tall tires front and back. Maybe lift the back up by 1" or so, I like the back to be slightly higher than the front.

The frame is definitely not C10, both front and back are 8 lugs, which most likely is a C20. Is it possible to take something from a donor and fit it on a C10 LWB frame? So I will need to find out how these body parts from C10 would fit on a C20 frame. Same with the interior parts. Good thing most parts are here.

The Title says it's a Chevy, the seller has collected GMC front grille and tail gate. Maybe they came with the pre-previous owner when they changed it to a C20 GMC frame? I will be using them as well, so it will be a chevy C10 title, on a C20 frame, with GMC grille and tail gate.

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

I agree... a little rubber rake looks good on these trucks.

[​IMG]

9. nelson-ohio

nelson-ohio Member

forgot to mention

Forgot to mention, the rear is leaf spring, not coil. Not sure what difference it makes. I think I will just leave them on it.

I want to kinda get this done in 6 months, focus more on things like body work and paint, which I plan on doing myself. This will be my first try at something like this, I will do my best, we will see how that goes.