700 R4 Passing Gear Cable or Kick D

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by ariley64, Jul 17, 2005.

1. ariley64

ariley64 Member

I have a 700r4 Transmission, The Cable that runs from the Transmission to the Carb, ( I think it's a Kick down or Passing Gear cable) anyway I'm running a Edelbrock 600 CFM with a performer Vortec
    Manifold. I'm trying to find the correct Kick Down Bracket for it. Or does this need to be hooked up on a non electronic application for the 700R4?

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

RE: 700 R4 Passing Gear Cable or Ki

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-05 AT 11:05 AM (CST)]That cable is referred to as a TV cable and it's adjustment is CRITICAL to the life of the trans. Do it wrong, and the trans will fry in a very short time.
    If you are unfamiliar with it I'd recommend that you tow the truck to a reputable trans shop for that adjustment.

Read the three part article called TV 101 at http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php.

DVal

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

RE: 700 R4 Passing Gear Cable or Ki

One more thing,

Because these trans came from vehicles that used a computer to control the torque converter lockup ( aka Overdrive), a vehicle without a computer needs some way to engage and disengage lockup.

A conversion kit is needed that when installed in the trans will accomplish this on a non computer vehicle. The kit is controlled with a switch that tells the trans to lockup. BUT, a better solution is to wire into the brake light circuit that will take the trans out of lockup when the brakes are applied.

I converted my panel last year to a 700R4 and could not be happier with the results. With a 3: 70 ratio rear the 1st through 3rd gear performance is excellent. Once I reach 47 MPH the torque converter locks up and RPM's reduce to around 2,000 at 65 mph. End result is my MPG figures going from 11 mpg to 18 mpg.

If you want to do it and are not familiar with the way the trans works then have it done by a good trans shop. If it's not done correctly at best you won't be happy with it and at worst the trans will self destruct.

DV