216 spark plug

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ljjjll, Oct 13, 2008.

1. ljjjll

ljjjll Member

Hi everyone,
    I got a 49 216. My notes say the correct plug is a AC 46-5 which is probably not available anymore. When I bought the truck it had 44-5 in it. Way back when I replaced them with R43. I see that Chevyduty sells a R45 for that engine. What is the correct plug that is available these days.
    Thanks
    Jim

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hi Jim ;

WHEW ! I thought you were gonna ask about '41 ~ '46 216's with ' peanut ' plugs :eek:

Anyways , yes , you need to use AC # 45 spark plugs , R45 if that's all there is , if you hunt around you can still find them cheaply but scuttlebut sez AC is dropping production....

NGK makes very good quality spark plugs , use the copper cored typ , and I don't recommend resistor typ . (platinum plugs are TRASH)

ALWAYS check the gaps before installation , I know they're " Pre Gapped " but I also used to work in freight shipping and I know the goons toss cases of spark plugs so they're always too close out of the box .

Gap them to .035" , use a wire typ gauge , easy to find on pawn shops or used tool places as few understand the need any more .

Take a moment some time to hold up an old plug next to a new one and discern the different between the center electrode of the two plugs ~ as they wear , the shoulders get rounded a tiny bit and this is why old plugs have mis fires and poor preformance , once you know how to tell , you'll not need to change out the plugs as much as they're usually O.K. for 30,000 miles .

I hope this helps .

3. ljjjll

ljjjll Member

Thanks, that was a lot of help. Thanks for the tip on the shoulders.
    Jim