1. Welcome to the new and improved Classic Parts Talk!

After more than 9 years on the old system, we decided it's time to modernize the site a bit. This marks the third generation of our forums!

All of your posts, photos, profiles, and private messages are still here, and you should be able to log in with the same username and password that you always have. Feel free to look around the site a bit, and make some posts if you like. If you normally use the option to keep yourself logged in all the time, you'll need to log back in just once in order for that to be applied again.

If you have any questions, or something doesn't seem to be working right, please let us know! Either send me (Nick) a message here, send am email to forum@classicparts.com, or visit our Contact Us page: http://www.classicparts.com/contactus.asp

Thanks, and we hope you enjoy the new look and features! You can click the X at the top right of this message to dismiss it.
    Dismiss Notice

235 cam

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by oldtruckluvr, Jan 18, 2006.

1. oldtruckluvr

oldtruckluvr Member

I have a 1954 chevy with a 235. I am looking to do some performance upgrades and i was wondering what kind of cam would do the trick and help me with performance? any ideas would be great. thanks
  2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Better 235 cam

Get a NEW (not reground !) cam and lifters for a '58 ~ '62 261 engine from a C-60 Chevy , DO NOT use hydraulic lifters as they rob power .

You'll find this cam gives your old 235 quite a boost in power but still idles like a watch , it that same cam Chevy used in the early Corvette 235....

Prolly want to replace the cam and crank timing gears too , be sure to only buy timing gears of one brand as a few of them have come in with different pitch on the teeth...

Your local hot rod shop can easily polish the exhaust ports , and combustion chambers too , have them CC'd at the same time . perfectly smooth combustion chambers adds goodly bit of punch to it . have them
    unshroud the valves and guides too . this will also increase fuel milage and allow the engine to run -much- cooler .

If they don't know what any of this means , it's a jerk off shop , not a hor rod machine shop as this is all basic stuff that really peps
    up a stock engine .