Automatic Choke Adjustment

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by William Wyatt, Oct 7, 2007.

1. William Wyatt

William Wyatt Member

I need help on adjusting the automatic choke a Rochester Carb. Its the factory one on my 84 4x4.
    I have to continously play with the gas once I get it cranked.
    When its cold and I press the gas before cranking it, the flap opens up to about 1/2". After having to pump the gas pedal, it opens on up, almost all the way. I checked to make sure the choke has voltage with the ignition on and it does. Any Help?:confused:

2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

It sounds like a cab cleaning needed or at least @ the choke area.
    Does your choke housing have rivits or screws on the black round cover.
    You can play with the choke setting there but make note where it is. unless your has rivits. How nice clean is your carb, how long since you had a rebuild or tune up.

3. William Wyatt

William Wyatt Member

The Choke housing has screws. I have just gave the vehicle a tune up. The carb looks to be very clean. If it does neeed to be cleaned how would I do so without having to remove it from the Manifold?
    Thank you

4. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

If yours is a electric choke, does the black wire have a good contact. if it does then you lossen them a bit so the black plastic part. The black part turn back & forth you should do this with the truck running you should here the motor start to speed up or died there should be some small lines on the top for mark to guid you. try that .