Installing V8 into 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by penniwinkle, Sep 28, 2010.

1. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

re rearend....

Sorry I wasn't very clear regarding the rearend. If someone wants it let me know in the next few days. I will hold it for you - just let me know.

If no one tells me they want it (within the next few days), then I will haul it off.

R.Pennington

2. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks for the pictures~

Nice looking V8 you have there. Nice looking work space, too!

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Me !

Please E-Mail or PM me ASAP , I might be able to jet out there this weekend .

Where are all the brake parts ? .

Where's Queen Creek ? .

TIA ,

4. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

re rearend

Sent you a PM Nate. I will hold it until I hear from you.

Roger

5. federale

federale Member

Re:Rear end

So what type of rear are you putting in it? If you are keeping the original springs don't go buying one of those fancy shackle kits. I can clue you in on centering it up in the wheel wells for no cash outlay.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Centering Nova Rear End on Original Springs

Please ~ do tell .

7. federale

federale Member

Re:Do Tell

Just take the springs off and turn them around end for end. This gives you back that 2 inches or so that the old pivot points used.:D

8. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

re rearend

I was going to use a kit from CPP or Classic Parts as it had the parts that compensate for the axle positioning. Was thinking of that kit as I need the round U-bolts, new spirng perches and the new shock pads/plates. I have heard of switching the spring around but guess I was looking for the easiest way.

Roger

9. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

Directions

Nate, did you get the PM with directions to my house? I'm having some trouble with this site and am having to struggle through the options to set up my profile correctly. I changed my e-mail address on my profile and had some difficulty figuring out why I could no longer do anything. I still have not figured out how to send via email to you - I cannot find the option.

Thanks
    Roger

10. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Contact

Yep , I got your message , your account needs you to add your E-Mail addy . I sent mine to you .

12. bowtiesr4me

bowtiesr4me Member

Hey Roger, Coming along nicely!
    Like the new/old V8.
    What type of gas pedal r ya gonna use?
    Im at that point where I need pedals. I kept the original
    brake and emergency pedal but with a automatic I need
    some type of gas pedal. No floor stomp start pedal.
    My starter switch is from a '63 chevy truck has ACC,OFF,ON and START, but with my old key (hope that helps a little)If you have any pics or ideas of the gas pedal send em on.
    Thanx,

mike

13. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

se a hot rod spoon pedal, a Locar cable and an Edelbrock cable mount. Works perfectly.

14. federale

federale Member

Re:Gas pedal

Its easy enough to use a cable operated pedal from a GM product. Just drill 3 holes and go!

15. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

gas pedal

The only pedals I have removed thus far, is the clutch and starter pedal. I had some pedal issues with the gas pedal when I had the 6 cyl in the truck so I bought a 1954 (I think) from our host with hopes of replacing it. I still have the new pedal and was thinking about the 'v8 linkage' our host has in his catalog (seem to consist of 3 rods with 2 hinges - with a mounting bracket for a 55-59).I do have a spoon and another lokar that needs a cable - may use on of those.
    I installed a new ignition swt and will use it for the 'start'.

Roger

16. bowtiesr4me

bowtiesr4me Member

17. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

re Gas Pedal

That setup looks really go. Thanks for the post.

Roger

18. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I had the linkage type, never worked quite right. I insstalled the through the flor type like above, it worked well. I have a simple spoon and cable shoots straight through the firewall and to the carb, no binding.

19. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

re rearend

The highly regarded 'guru with lots of classic truck knowledge', Nate and his brother, picked up my old 1951 rearend today. They are both really nice guys. They seem very close (makes me wish I had a brother). Nate loved the 'extra gravel' that was in the tranny end of the driveshaft (we have rock or gravel in our yards in AZ). Hope Nate does not have a 'crunching sound' when the rearend is installed (I'm sure he will clean it out).

Hope I did not screw up the rearend too much. Good Luck with it Nate.

Roger

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

HMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

Across the Southwestern Desert we cruised , 60 MPH or so , the thinwall , long stroke 292 C.I. I-6 engine humming away and returning 15 MPG's to boot .

It was only 91° F at the hottest point , I kept my window down most of the way , Tom speaks quietly so I had to roll it up to hear him occasionally .

As usual and expected , this battered old Farm/Ranch/Work truck that was ( is ? :rolleyes: ) ready to be scrapped for junk , only needed a bunch of serious tinkering back to health to be tour / work / commute ready ~ it used three quarts of oil (?!) but was smooth as only an InLine engine can be and had a surfit of power , we drove over several high passes in the left lane passing all the Semi's and 2/3 of the Civilian traffics , I never used more than 1/3 of the available throttle nor did any hill require down shifting . I am well pleased with this truck and wish it was a short bed as I'd maybe keep it then.

Roger is a nice fellow who has a pretty truck , it's been re - painted inside and out and there's a spiffy cleaned up and re-painted Chevy V-ate engine (SB , ?307?) ready to plop in and have some serious power added .

Sadly , Arizona is no longer the mecca of old rust free trucks it once was ~ I did see a few on ranches as I did my usual detours and sight seeing but considering how many millions of the '73 ~ '87 trucks were sold by GM , there's precious few left .

We stopped in at the world famous Heart Attack Grille in Chandler , Az. , a nice place but nothing really special ~ for $8 I got poor service and a slightly above average burger and was dissapointed to find they have NO ICE what so ever .

The tourists seemed to like it though and the skinny Waitresses in Nurse costumes wore no drawers so there was that to gawk at .

All in all it was another fun Desert trip .