Steering Column, Horn Wiring- need advice

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Haasman, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Haasman

Haasman Member

I am hoping you guys can give me some advice ... I am new to these trucks but I am really liking them a lot. So ....

My '51 3100 has power steering that the PO installed, a Toyota power steering unit. OK, good truck and I figured if it has power steering ... no big deal. One thing I did notice was a horn button down along side the steering column. Hmmmm.

I now am in the process of replacing the wiring. Got a basic kit from this site. Before installing I gutted the dash, cleaned out all the old wiring, surface rust, wasps nests and debris. I started looking at the steering column and noticed it does have a wire that runs up inside it, entering about mid-way. There was also a screw there by the hole.

Am I correct that the steering column is insulated from the body? Insulated at the under-dash mount AND where the column does through the firewall? (So that it doesn't ground out and thus the horn button can be used in the center of the steering wheel?)

So .... is there supposed to be something at the top of the steering column, under the steering wheel that makes contact with the horn contact spring? My truck doesn't have anything like that.

If there is a wire that goes up the column, how does it do that and not get rubbed on by the steering shaft inside?

Thanks for the help,

Haasman

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

From the Factory Assembly Manual

Haasman - The the 'contact spring assembly' has a wire from it that comes out part way down the steering column.

Attached Files:

3. Haasman

Haasman Member

Larry - the picture is great! Wow where do you find these illustrations?

I can see I am missing a few things ..... like the Hub Cover Assembly #2, Horn Button Assy', Spring & Contact, Insulator etc.

What keeps the Steering Shaft from turning?

The wire ... does it just run down inside the tube and doesn't contact the steering shaft because of the upper bearing locating the shaft?

Haasman

4. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

That assembly manual picture depicts the 1954 & 1955 first series Chevy truck upper steering assembly....
    The 1947-1953 trucks are different.

Attached Files:

5. Haasman

Haasman Member

Wow ... OK, Larry do you have the same image for the 1947-1953 trucks?

6. Zig

Zig Member

I am wondering about where that wire goes as well. Mine is still there, but old and frayed. The horn button must have quit working because the po put in a push button on the dash for the horn.

7. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Haas,

If you look in the Sponsor's catalog, you will see all the replacement parts you need except the upper bearing unit that has a new insulated wire and to go down the tube and out through that opening midshaft. As I recall, I burned out a few contact springs before I found out what the horn relay was for. I found suitable replacements at a local hardware store. I could have sworn I bought the upper bearing from sponsor as well. Its very satisfying to have your stock horn working again fairly inexpensively.

Flashlight

8. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, Flashlight~ I'll have to check that out.

9. Haasman

Haasman Member

Thanks everyone. I am seeing what I need to do to get the horn working. These days I don't think horns are optional.

Since my truck has a "retro-fitted" power steering setup, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Final question: At the base of the steering column, what secures it? Is it just the hard rubber piece and the foam dust seal? Mine has been expoxied to the sheet metal. There is a universal joint.

I can send pictures late if that would help.

Haasman

10. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Here is my thread on column shortening.....
    https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=7908
    this has already been done to yours. You can see the horn wire. The upper bearing is a press in bearing with the wire soldered to it. To change the bearing and wire, you must carefully pry the bearing out through the top, be shure to tie a string around the wire from below before you pull it out. tie the tring to the new wire and guide down the tube and out the hole. Press in the upper bearing, install steering shaft, steering wheel and the new horn contact through the steering wheel.

There realy should be something securing the lower end of the column at the firewall. I made a plate to fill the larger hole and to locate the column. I have seen a short length of pipe just a little larger than the column welded to the firewall, with a set bolt to clamp down on the column.

11. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Horn button contact assy.

There is a litle cutout in this part.Is that because it should fit excactly and steady inside the steeringwheel over the steeringwheel bolt?

Martinius.

12. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Spring?

DZT - Where does the spring fit into the assembly?

13. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I've always found the spring between the upper shaft bearing and the steering wheel.

14. Fiona

Fiona Member

DeadZoneTruckin,

Where did you get the picture of the horn parts for the chevy truck. I am restoring a 48 with the same steering wheel and horn parts, but I am at a loss for how to assemble. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Fiona

15. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Classic parts does have the upper bearing, with horn wire attached. I recently got one for my truck. Do be sure and tie a string to the lower end of the wire before pulling it out of the column so You can use that string to pull in the new wire.

16. FarmTruck

FarmTruck Member

Fiona-

The drawing came from the Factory Assembly Manual. You can pick one up from our sponsor's site here:

http://www.classicparts.com/Manuals/products/12/1/0

It's a great thing to have around. That and the Shop Manual, which is also available there if you don't have one already.

-- Harry