Patina

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by edwin wells, Jul 7, 2015.

1. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Hi All,

Seems like many of us go for the shiny new look, but sometime patina is very neat too -

If you are a patina kind of person, you'll like this one on Ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291505491412?&_trksid=p2041548.m738

I'd think twice before painting over that - it's just too cool!!

Ed

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

I truly like it myself but, Looks like it is a little tad much for the Rawlings bunch.

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Interesting and thanks for posting.

At some point I'd say this one evolved past the patina phase and is now simply "rusty".

It appears to me the sun visor is likely worth more than the entire truck....

It would sell for less than $1000 in Colorado......

_____
    John

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  4. Zig

Zig Member

The only thing about leaving a truck in patina is all the places that connect the truck together, are continuing to rust away.
    If you're in a dry environment, I guess it doesn't matter that much.
    With all the rust areas taken care of on my truck, it should last a long, long, time.

...especially if I never get it to where I can actually drive it...

5. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Yes, starting to show the dreaded orange/brown for sure. My old truck was looking like this, and I went ahead and decided to redo the whole thing. Sometimes I think that it would have been cool to keep the old look and just upgrade the mechanical system! I suppose one person's junk is another person's treasure -

6. Zig

Zig Member

Well, and as these patina ones rust away, our trucks not only become even more valuable, but will keep this history around for people to see for years to come.
    Unless of course the patina ones someday get some special lovin. And I suppose there will be replacement parts and panels like there is today...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  7. Rusy53

Rusy53 Member

I like them all but then I'm old like they are and not to hard to please.

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

We each build ours the way we like em.

9. coilover

coilover Member

You can have one painted in a fake patina that you would swear is real rust and faded paint. Some even have fake weld beads for supposedly cracked fenders that have been repaired. A guy we use can air brush the rear cover on a differential that has been "shredded" revealing a blown up ring and pinion that looks so real it must be leaking lube. In short, you can have patina and still save the metal.

10. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Yes, I've seen some great artists who can make a new truck door look like it is 50 years old - faded letters that say something like "Tom's Auto Repair" with a faded telephone number. You'd swear it was the real McCoy. I suppose I am a bit of an old-timer, but as much as I like the shiny stuff, some of the weathered old trucks have a lot of soul. I suppose that is what Old Navy was all about!

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

As It's Been Said :

There's a sucker born every minute . ?! $4,500.00 ?! :eek: .

This is a nice old truck yes but anyone who's ever actually worked on one like this knows it's very close to beyond salvage .

Take it apart and de rust it , weld up the cracks , re paint it then add your fake patina B.S. because RUST NEVER SLEEPS and I've lost count of the good vehicles lost due to this foolishness ~ bu the time you realize it's unsafe or gone , it's TOO LATE .

12. CornfieldPerf.

CornfieldPerf. Member

Shiny paint is way over rated. Each his own. Gas Monkey name must have been worth a great deal of the purchase price.

13. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Yep that's throwing good money after bad.

I guess I need to paint "Gassed Monkey" on my barn and start dragging trucks out of the local fields... it's a freaking gold mine :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  14. Wolf

Wolf Member

What's patina...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Yeah thats mulch in the back. Had a good 1.5 cubic yards of rock in the back Saturday too...
    [​IMG]

Nate these are to wake you up and get your juices flowing! Oh you Chevy guys if you could only have this... Nate I drove this to work 2 times last week. Love the sound of the 228 Long motor with straight pipes all the way to the pencil chrome tips out the back. Music sweet music.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Wow that is very cool Wolf. Has a lot of soul. My truck looked like that and I was having a blast driving it everyday. Now it is in pieces getting ready to paint and look all pretty. Haven't been on the road for years now! Stored at my brother's place an hour away. My ex wife said either the truck goes or she goes. I miss her sometimes (especially when I needed help with the engine hoist). Maybe one fine day while I am still vertical and breathing I'll have her back on the road (the truck that is, not the ex-)

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I thought you had to sell this to get the Windsor ?? :confused: .

You're right , I'd love to work / play in a rig like this .

Maybe a Hydromatic equipped one .

17. Wolf

Wolf Member

I haven't sold the truck yet. I have had on an average of 6 phone calls per day and about 5 visitors per evening. All I have is a for sale sign in the window. If it sells then I am okay with that, if not, then I am probably more okay with it.

The windsor I had to jump on right away, it was one of those deals if you snooze just for a bit your going to loose out. So glad that we got it. So much fun taking the whole family out in.

I just had to take a chance to show ya some pics of that L-o-n-g motor;)

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

O.K. Then

A foolish question but I gotta ask :

How much are you asking for it ? .

19. Wolf

Wolf Member

Ill send ya a PM with that;)

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thanx Wolf .