So what the???

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Zig

Zig Member

I really enjoyed tooling around this little town over the weekend in my G. Last night, before I put it up, I went down through the park and then out onto the bypass to get it up to speed.
    Man, it drove ~so~ nice!
    As I was coming up to the intersection that I was going to take, as I started slowing down, I didn't hear the engine running anymore.
    Thankfully, the light hadn't changed red yet so I was able to coast at a pretty good speed around the corner and let the clutch out. It took a few feet, but the engine came back to life, and I was able to make it the rest of the way home just fine.
    So my question to you is, what the heck could have caused that?
    The little 228 fires right up when I go to start it, and I have driven it many miles around own without any problems what so ever, so this has me a little bumfuzzeled.
    Thanks for any ideas.

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Gremlins!

I assume the clutch was in as you were slowing down/noticing the engine not running.

3. Zig

Zig Member

If I remember correctly I had taken my foot of the gas at (probably) 60 mph,and startedbraking, but I'm not sure when exactly it died.
    I'm thinking it was after letting off the gas.
    But I know it wasn't firing when I stepped on the clutch pedal.

4. Zig

Zig Member

Well, once again~ 3rd time this thing has just quit while driving around town. This time a bit different.
    This time I came around a corner and had it spit and sputter, then it ran, then spit and sputter, and by then I had pulled into a conveniently located parking lot where it died.
    Checked the fuel filter before the carb~ no gas in it.
    Checked the filter back by the tank~ gas in it. (as well as more black particle sediment)
    fuel pump must be screwed.
    I could occasionally get it started, but as soon as I had thoughts that I could make it the 6 more blocks home, it would die.
    Towed home.
    By the time I got it home, fuel was back in the filter by the carb.
    I opened the garage door, went back an got it started and drove it into my garage.
    So what is a GOOD fuel pump?
    As long as this crap keeps happening, I will only drive around town. #mad#

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

When mine crapped out I got a dual chamber pump from NAPA. It is still working fine, but I'm not using the vacuum chamber as I changed to electric wipers.

I took my old one apart and found it full of sediment from the tank. One of the check valves had popped out and was still in the chamber of the pump. I cleaned it all up and pressed the check valve back into place. It is now my spare.

6. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

Just a thought..Lots of crap in the tank. You get it home the heavier sediment settles back into the tank..thus a clear filter until your pump starts pulling harder at higher rpms. Plus when you are driving the crap in the tank gets shaken up.

7. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Zig, I second that. Prove it out by removing the tank, shaking it up to mimic driving, and then pour it out into a clean drywall bucket- if it's clean then you look downstream. Even if you cleaned it years ago, today's fuels could easily have loosened up some debris.

And we'll need pictures.

8. Zig

Zig Member

Yeah~ I guess I'll replace the fuel pump, remove the tank, shake the shit out of it with much gas inside it, dump out gas into clean trash can, let "stuff" settle, replace all rubber gas line parts with new, new filters, take old fuel pump apart and clean to keep as spare like Bill said, reassemble and hit the road.
    Spring break is coming up, so I will have the time to do just that.
    I'm thinking of getting the original style fuel pump this time around, however...
    It seemed like the arm of the original was a tad longer than the NAPA one I bought.

9. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

• You can put a piece of chain and some solvent the tank then shake it.
    • There are products out there POR15 makes one for cleaning and sealing.
    • Radiator shop might "boil" and seal it for you.

10. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, Depoebay~ The first thing I did when I got this truck was take it to a radiator shop and have them put a liner in it.
    Then it sat for over five years with gas in the tank because I am an optimist.

11. Depoebay

Depoebay Member

if you do use the chain method tie a piece of cord to the end of the chain so it can be removed easy. The chain will loosen up any boogers left on the walls of the tank.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Paul ;

Since it has a tank liner , you prolly only need to pour in a package of BB's and two gallons of fresh gasoline then shake the beejeebers out of it to loosen up the crud, drain and filter, repeat until the gas comes out clear .

The waste gasoline makes for dandy weed killer BTW .

Don't be tossing out the fuel pump just yet ~ there's prolly a tiny bit of crud bouncing around in it and occasionally holding one of the disc valves open , a common enough thing .

13. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

My pump was easy to disassemble and clean out.

14. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Zig,
    Since your memory seems to slipping of late, here is a friendly reminder: For the newbies here, and for others who have been here for quite awhile,
    PICTURES please. That way when the next guy has the same problem, he can search the threads here, find your WELL-ILLUSTRATED POST, follow it to a "T", and proclaim you a genius upon successful completion of said task!

Love, Mike

15. Zig

Zig Member

Dang~ my camera battery was dead.
    Otherwise, I would have shown you the inside of my fuel pump. Turns out there wasn't much junk in there. Just a very small pocket of silt.
    Cleaned it out, stuck it back on, fired right up and ran smoothly all the way around the block.
    Spring break is around the corner, and at that time I will pull the tank and clean the friggin crap out of it because I have had enough.
    Thanks for the advice as always!
    Mike? Get to work!

16. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Your camera battery was dead? C'mon Zig. You're a teacher. Tell me that doesn't sound a LOT like "my dog ate my homework".

17. Zig

Zig Member

Noooo.... Reallllyyy... Dead batteries... #rolleyes#