headlight switch wiring

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by denisf, Jul 9, 2017.

1. denisf

denisf Member

Looking for guidance/diagram for wiring the headlight switch. Would love to have a diagram like the one I found for a 55 attached?

Attached Files:

2. coilover

coilover Member

Not high tech enough to do a drawing but HL switch is very straight forward. Wire from ammeter to "BAT" terminal on switch, head light wire from switch to dimmer switch, "T" or "TL" wire to tail lights AND instrument lights, "P" or "PK" to park lights. There is a wire from the high beam terminal on the dimmer switch back up to the high beam indicator light in the speedometer face. Your done. What confuses some is the head light wire does NOT run to the head lights but rather to the dimmer switch. If your switch has a rheostat to dim the instrument lights, and most do, then a wire from the "TL" terminal is run to one side of the rheostat and from the other side to the instrument panel. You should have a switch on the dome light on this truck but if controlled from the HL switch there is a terminal on the Rheostat that energizes when the switch stem is rotated all the way clockwise and this turns on the dome light. Most dome light wires hook to the switch "BAT" terminal so light can be turned on at any time.

3. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

47-55.1 switch diagram headlight switch.jpg

4. denisf

denisf Member

5. denisf

denisf Member

This is great. So on the switch the terminals are labeled? Ie bat, p, etc

6. denisf

denisf Member

Thanks, this is helpful. Two questions. 1. I assume the terminals on the switch are labeled, i.e., P, TL, etc.? 2. Rheostat, I know what they are but I am not sure I know where it is or what it looks like, will have to go snooping in the dash, I assume.

7. denisf

denisf Member

Attached Files:

8. denisf

denisf Member

Ok a bit slow, I get now, correct if wrong, the rheostat is in the light switch, I assume turning the knob activates it. Thanks again for all your help.