Power steering pump is on

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Guest5979, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

2. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Power steering pump is on my 235
    Now have to charge the battery add gas and hope it works the p/s hose will be re positioned
    Later have to have a hose made Chevy/jaguar.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Is the pump running just from a two-belt pulley on the alternator?

4. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Yes 2 belt pulley on the alternator

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I'm worried about the P/S belt slipping under load on that 2" (or so) diameter pulley.

6. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Was told p/s pumps will and have worked off the alternator soon I will find out .if not bigger belt wrap around the crank/water pump/alternator

7. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

So far Bill it seemed ok I got the truck fired up turning the wheels back and forth load seemed ok til the high pressure line split a part. I did a quick patch job on the hoses for a test run.
    Will have a new hoses made later.
    Almost finished with the top next is go under truck and address a few things there.
    Thought I would have it back on the road this summer guess not but next summer if not by winter for sure.

8. coilover

coilover Member

Looking good. We haven't had any trouble with less belt wrap on a p/s pump IF near factory size tires are used. Wide radials and little wrap will let the squeeling pig loose under the hood.

9. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Evan: It isn't the PS pump pulley I'm worried about. It is the alternator pulley. It looks to me like the belt arrangement is like this:

Belt A runs from a single pulley on the crankshaft, around the water pump, around one groove on the alternator and back to the crank pulley. Belt B is powered by the second groove on the alternator (I'm guessing 2-3 inch diameter) and wraps around the power steering pump returning to the alternator pulley.

I'm worried about slippage at the alternator pulley. Most likely in the groove using belt A which will have less wrap than belt B. If you tighten it enough to prevent slippage it may reduce front bearing life in the alternator.

Using a larger diameter alternator pulley (hot rodders use them to cut down on engine load at high RPM) would help the (potential) slipping problem, but given the low RPM of our stock 6 cylinder engines the alternator probably wouldn't start charging until over 1000 RPM.

10. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Seems like by the time my truck is finished it will be like the Johnny cash
    well if it doesn’t work than I will have to go to plan B find the needle in the hay stack 2 belt harmonic balancer for a 235

11. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I can think of three other solutions that use more available parts.

1. Find a dual belt pulley for the PS pump. Run a belt around the crank pulley, the water pump and one groove of the PS pump. Then use the other groove of the PS pump pulley to run the alternator.
    2. Find a dual belt pulley for the water pump. Run a belt around the crank pulley, one groove of the water pump and the PS pump. Then use the other groove of the water pump pulley to run the alternator.
    3. Find a dual belt pulley for the water pump. Run a belt around the crank pulley, one groove of the water pump and the alternator. Then use the other groove of the water pump pulley to run the PS pump.

All three of these solutions would provide much more belt contact area to the PS pump.

Or get a 2 pulley balancer
    Chevy 235,261 3/8 belt 6.5 inch diameter pulley harmonic balancer | eBay

12. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Bill would you happen to know what year or what engine to look for a 2 groove pulley for the water pump?
    With many failed attempts for me to build my own p/s bracket I ran a belt around the crank,w/p ,alternator,p/s
    But was unsuccessful my bracket kept twisting and the belt would come off.

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Robert ;

? Is it slipping squealing ? .

If not, don't worry .

Remember it's never O.K. to hold the steering at full stop and turning the steering wheel when the truck is stationary is a bad thing too .

My 1969 C/10's power steering is only a narrow single belt and so far so good .

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

One Piece At A Time :

Have faith Robert, you've been working hard on this rig for a long time now .