Electric fan and engine rpms

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Guest5979, May 22, 2020.

1. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

I put in a electric fan in my 52 Chevy truck 235 engine I hooked it up with a switch to turn on and off when ever mostly driveway idling.than one day I shorted out the relay pinched fan wire between grill and fender smoked the relay,
    I bought a new relay and switch rewired fan back up fan is working great with the on and off switch.
    Today I was running the truck and noticed at idle and fan switch off fan was off at higher rpms the fan went on as the truck went back to idle fan went off with the switch on off
    Anyone have any thoughts on this and should I just leave it as it is ?
    Thanks

2. coilover

coilover Member

The electric fan is auto revolving which means the air pulled past it with the engine fan causes it to turn. Have you ever seen a fan being hauled in the back of a truck spinning from the air passing through it. To prove the point just take the fan belt off and rev the engine---the electric fan will stand still.

3. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

The pinwheel effect that’s good to know so nothing to worry about when I saw it spinning with the switch off I was what’s going on.
    Thanks Evan one less thing to worry about.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Consider adding a thermo switch to it so you'll never have to worry again, if you wire it live it wil run a few minutes after shut down and prevent engine heat soak .

5. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Main use is mainly for those driveway idling days getting it back up and running.