Looking for a "rear spring seat bushing"

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by RezMutt, May 29, 2020.

1. RezMutt

RezMutt Member

Hi all,

Having the damnest time finding the bushing that connects my torque tube rear end to the leaf springs. In the schematic I attached, it's inside the the part labeled "5.403 seat". I'd also need the associated seals, bolts, and nuts. Any ideas on how/where to look?

1951 Chevy truck 3100

Thanks much!

Attached Files:

2. Fifthchild

Fifthchild Member

I have a used pair off my 1/2 ton 52 GMC I don't need...swapped out my torque tube for a open driveline. Complete minus a seal, bushings are solid, slight rust and greasy but all in all very good shape.

3. RezMutt

RezMutt Member

Thanks for the speedy response (and apologies for my slow one). Would you mind sending a pic of the bushings you have? I'm interested in the condition of the rubber inside. I may be interested in buying them from you. Thanks again!

4. Fifthchild

Fifthchild Member

No problem, here's a collage of sides and top views. I also replied to the email I received regarding this conversation.
    rps20200531_114423.jpg

5. RezMutt

RezMutt Member

Thanks for posting this. That's what I'm looking for, and the rubber on them looks pretty good. What do you want for them? I'm not sure how to private message...maybe you can.

6. Fifthchild

Fifthchild Member

Pm sent

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Helping hands, I love it .

This sort of hard part all too often gets tossed in the trash during a Hot Rod build....

8. Fifthchild

Fifthchild Member

I try not to throw anything away while doing a resto...I learned a long time ago that you just never know if that item might be useful in some way even to repurpose as something else. Been there, done that. I have been following your threads for quite some time now Nate, many useful tips and tricks...thank you.

RidesWithYah likes this.
  9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good to know I've been helpful .

10. ERKY

ERKY Member

I am also looking for the same rubber bushings. Anyone know where to find them? Thanks

11. Fifthchild

Fifthchild Member

Pm sent.

12. fred dohrmann

fred dohrmann Member

I too am looking for the rubber bushings for 1954 chevy truck anyone have any luck finding them

13. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

vwnate1 likes this.
  14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Interesting that Steel Rubber Co. will do this .

FWIW, Steele makes it rubber products here in the U.S.A. and they're top quality fit and LAST unlike almost all Chinese rubber .

You might look up 'The Damper Doctor' or The Damper Dudes' ~ I used them on a rubber re vulcanize project on a 1950 (IIRC) Rambler Custom Convertible like Lois Lane drove in the 1950's Superman TV show ~ they were fast and affordable (I *think* I used The Damper Dr.) so give them a look .

15. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Steele redid the front motor mount on my '57 GMC V8 back in the days when nobody repopped these mounts (which are also used on 55-58 Pontiacs and mid 50s Oldsmobiles). When I told the guy on the phone that it was for my daily driver he made a 2 day turn around happen.

vwnate1 likes this.