Nate, I have a question too!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by cmkruse, Feb 25, 2023.

1. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Can you tell me the correct installation on the drag link. I have a 49 1/2 ton with the solid drag link. I bought the rebuild kit with end plugs and springs etc., The problem I have is which end goes to the steering box and which end goes to the wheel. One end of the housing is a bit longer than the other and I'm assuming that's the end that goes to the steering box but you know what assuming does. I have the springs and seats installed properly according to the manual. Took this apart a couple years ago and my memory isn't that good anymore and I forgot to take a picture when I took it apart. I'm also wondering about the replacement ball studs, one has a taper shaft and one is straight. The tapered one fit in the gear box arm but the other stud ball wont fit in the axle end. I'll try and get the photo to show it. any help appreciated

Attached Files:

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Whew ~ it's been like twenty years since I did one and I don't want to give you bad advice .

The biggest thing I remember was the new springs were trash, I had to hunt 'round until I found some good used ones and assembled it with them .

As far as which end, I'd look in the owner's booklet and factory shop manuals, they have photographs and you should be able to find one, maybe not in the drag link section that shows which end goes where .

Dpoesn't anyone male the sheet metal debris covers anymore ? .

3. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Thanks Nate, I found it in the manual. I was looking in the one for 54 and not the 49 which is what I have so Now I'm good to go. I see chevs of the fourties has the dust shields but wasn't sure if they were original for trucks or just for cars. If they were on rucks originally I'll order some for my build.

4. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

UPDATE Chevs of the forties is the only supplier listing the dust shields for the truck that I can find. $22 and $25 shipping due to my location. I wish the (East Coast) other vendors had them. I don't see them listed or mentioned anywhere in the manuals or parts listing that I have. Were they original or a dealer option?

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

They're important to keep road munge and dust out as it quickly turns the lube into grinding paste....

You could make them up out of tin and tin snips .

Remember : I was a field mechanic when I worked on these .

6. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

I'll probably order them anyway even with the cost. I find it interesting that they aren't mentioned in the manual or parts listings.

vwnate1 likes this.
  7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Agreed .

Once in a while there will be a "non wear" part that misses being in the parts book .

_maybe_ this is one .

8. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Well I ordered them anyway. Here in Florida we have lots of sand so it's cheap insurance, I guess. Now I came across another item I can't figure out. I have my original seats redone and note that there is probably some bumpers or stops or whatever missing. The seat backs hit metal to metal when pushed back so I think there must have been something in these two locations. Maybe wood blocks with screws holding them in who knows?
    IMG_0896[1].JPG IMG_0897[1].JPG IMG_0900[1].JPG

vwnate1 likes this.
  9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wow, that seat looks glorious .

Maybe Joe will chime in here, I'm sure he has the correct parts book for panel truck seats, maybe even a photograph of what's needed .

Steel Rubber Co. in the U.S. of A. makes all manner of rubber grommets, bushings, stoppers and the like, if they don't have what you need in their catalog get a BIG cuppa Joe and spend some time searching their site, I have found more than a few *exact*fit* bumpers etc. by searching, they may not know they have what you need .

Time to begin looking at pictures of truck seats methinks .

Maybe Evan in TEXAS has an old (or new !) seat he can show you what you need.....

10. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Good idea on the Steele search. I ordered some bumpers from chevs of the 40s for a 46 I think it was just to see what they were in hopes they were close to what I need. I did find a listing in the 29-50 master parts book for 53-54 - RETAINER, w/bumper, seat back 4607462. Maybe Evan or Joe will help out.

vwnate1 likes this.