wanted transmission

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Jeff Norman, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Jeff Norman

Jeff Norman Member

I need to find a 1949 1/2 ton pickup transmission. It is 3 speed ,manual on the column, Muncie transmission

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oh, boy .

I bet there's more than a few just lying 'round, best bet is to research old Hot Rod threads and buy one from the guy who stuffed in a V-ate engine and slush box .

They have a hard time selling these and it usually winds up under the bench or out behind the garage, what's wrong with your old one ? .

They're dead simple and easy to fix, I have made many a good used one by mixing parts from junk yard bits .

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Jeff,
    It would be helpful if you listed your location. Welcome aboard!
    Mike

vwnate1 likes this.
  4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Location is very important .

I have received many things because someone read my signature and realized I wasn't all that far away .

Here in So. Cal. I see three speed trannies for sale at the Auto Swaps for $35 now and then .

They're frightfully expen$ive to ship and heavy to load so they typically lay 'round until they're tossed out on trash day .

5. Jeff Norman

Jeff Norman Member

Thanks for the good words. I live in Phoenix ,AZ . As far as what is specifically wrong, it whines badly and the synchro mesh is not working well. I am also looking now for someone who can rebuild it, possibly.

6. Jeff Norman

Jeff Norman Member

Thank you, Nate

vwnate1 likes this.
  7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Okay Jeff ;

Without looking inside of it I can tell you most common whine noise is caused by wear of the cluster shaft, it needs to be shimmed and over time as it wears it moves back a little bit so the gears don't mesh properly .

They make that whining sound because they're helical cut .

Chev's of the 40's in Washington state used to sell the synchro rings, bearings and gaskets along with the all important cluster gear shims .

New gears are out there, beware of "REPUBLIC" brand gears, they're apparently made of margarine .

If Joe can't help you, beware of any rebuilder as they usually only change the bearings and gaskets and call it a day then claim (lie) that it's "all new inside !" when the noises are still audible .

These never did have stellar synchronizing, I usually find the clutch or more often the pilot bushig in the end of the crankshaft is worn out or dry so it drags on ranny's input shaft .

If so this *must* be fixed before you waste a dime on tranny repairs .

The simply test is easy : get your truck all warmed up and park it, set the park brake firmly and depress the clutch, then select first gear~ a slight noise as it goes in is normal .

Keep the clutch pedal to the floor and shift from first gear into reverse

Did it crunch ? .

If it did, there's a clutch problem that needs fixing RIGHT NOW FIRST THING .

If not, you're one of the lucky .05%, go buy a Lotto ticket .

Depending on your skills you may well be able to over haul the tranny your own self .

Have you yet removed the side fill plug and stuck in your little finger to see how far below the edge of the filler hole the oil is ? .

These things weep, seep and leak oil as a matter of course, don't think you can ever stop needing to keep a weather eye on the gear oil level in the tranny .

Check the rear end too, if a gush of oil comes out when you remove the fill plug on the back of the differential the 'Oakie Bushing' is worn out and allowing oil to transfer from the tranny to the rear end .

Another fiddly but doable at home fix, takes some effort and a rental tool .

Keep us posted and do the simple test things first .

If you can put your little finger in the tranny's filler hole up to the knuckle before you feel oil, the oil is low and you MUST CHANGE IT not just top it up .

8. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Jeff,
    It's too bad you live so far away. I (still) have the 3-speed tranny out of my project sitting in the barn. It was out of reach when I gave the rest of my unneeded AD parts to a friend. Sounds like Nate has given you plenty to do!

vwnate1 likes this.
  9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Always remember : K.I.S.S. .
    Keep

It

Simple

Silly .

Very few ever bother to do the basics and that's why most oldies are not reliable .