6 to 12 volt conversion question

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Tailgater, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

I converted my 47 from 6 to 12 volt some time ago but now its time to finish hooking up some stuff. Here is what I have questions about but if there are others let me know.

I have left the original 6 volt heater, gas gauge, gas tank sending unit and horn. I put a voltage reducer between the juice and the horn but I haven't hooked up the other stuff yet. The reducer I used for the horn is a brown cylindrical porcelin thing with metal connectors on each end. Are you all familiar with that kind of reducer and, if so, is it the best to use? What else should I watch out for?

I am just trying to avoid frying anything. My Dad did a converison on a '54 a while back and fried the gas gauge. I sent it off somewhere and had it converted to 12 volt for about $50.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You'll need a voltage reducer for the gas gauge else it'll smoke in .002 seconds .

Radio Shack sells a nifty modern one that's tiny and cheap too~ the gas gauge only sucks an ampere or so .

No need to change the sender .

The heater blower motor will need that ceramic resisitor , be smart and place it before the switch so that doesn't overheat either .

Ammeter doesn't care about voltage .

The 6 volt horn works just fine on 12 volts as .ong as you don't lean on it , short toots will work fine .

6 volt starter is good on 12 volts too , once again don't be cranking for 5 minutes , keep it tuned up . if it's a key or push button operated starter , you'll need to install a 12 volt solenoid to prevent the Bendix from slamming the flywheel ring gear .

3. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Ummm, bendix slams flywheel ringgear. I wondered what that grinding noise was.
    Thanks, Nate.
    Bill

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yeah , the 6 volt solenoid will often begin spinning the starter before the Bendix is fully engauged .

Just look in the " Buyer's Guide " of the electrical switch catalog in your FLAPS , I'd _think_ (NOTE: not "know") the 12 volt solenoid from a 1956 235 would be the correct bolt up solenoid but not sure and sometimes they won't let you exchange it so look closely before accepting your special order part .

Amazingly , the 6 volt starter will work very well and last for years and years,
    all you needs do is : take it apart and lube it & maybe replace the brushes every 10 years when / if it begins to groan or slow down...

5. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Damn 10 years!!!!! there is a reliability issue then?
    ________
    Shemale cumshot

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Not as far as I'm concerned :)

I generally take the starter and generator apart when 1st. I get a vehicle and clean , lube and service it , this way I know it'll not leave me stranded in Death Valley or South Central L.A. (a bad thing trust me) .

7. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Hey, you think L.A is bad! have you seen our crime rate recently? I have seriously been thinking about moving over to your side of the pond, if you wer'nt so obsessed with guns i'd move tommorrow!
    ________
    Ass movie

8. psy999

psy999 Member

Brit 50, You aren't allowed guns, we are. You'd like to move here for the lower crime rate....hmmmm.....no guns, higher crime rate....hmmmm. I hear doctors are pushing to have pointed knives banned in Great Britain, maybe the crime rate will go down then.

Come to Wyoming where you are free to carry a loaded weapon as long as its not concealed, crime rate is pretty low here. I've never been burglarized, robbed, assaulted, mugged, insulted, afraid to go out at night, etc.

Just teasing you, I know sooner or later we won't be free men here either. Just hope it doesn't happen in my life time.

Dave

9. brit 50

brit 50 Member

I know in one way it makes sense carying a gun but if i were to be attacked id prefer if the other guy had a knife, he has to get up close and personal to use that sucker and im sure, unless hes an ex-navy seal, i would make him regret gettin that close! as for a gun, well he could be a block away and theres damn all i can do about it, trouble is over here now is we have let just about half the world into our country without any checks at all! and the way i see it is if your letting people in from countries where ethnic cleansing and civil wars have occured, your sure as hell gonna get some of those who did a lot of the killing!!!!

Over here now, and ive been saying this for a while, you can abuse a kiddie or stick a blade in someone and more than likely a lawyer will get you off, if you get caught that is, but hell, go 8 miles over the speed limit and they will hunt you down!!! seriously, they pull all the stops out to get you, murdrers are only serving 15 years!

And Chevy trucks are few and far between!
    ________
    Starcraft Replays

10. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

I will give my two cents on the gun issue.
    Tennessee has a carry law. It was enacted in 1994. There have been several changes to the law since then and every change has benfitted the gun carrier. I took a day long class on the laws and safety of packing a gun last December, passed an FBI background check and got my carry permit in January. I have carried mine every day since. There are a few restrictions. You cannot carry one on government property (especially schools) or where it is posted not to come in with a gun. They do not have to be concealed but if you carry them outside your clothing more than likely you will draw unwanted attention. Besides, I kinda like the element of surprise. If someone means to do me or my family harm they already have a plan. It is like I tell my teenage daughter, be aware of where you are and who is around you. Don't put yourself in a vulnerable situation. But if it happens, be ready. By the way, crime has diminished in areas like mine where it is rural, conservative and most bad guys knows that just about every man and some women are packing.

11. brit 50

brit 50 Member

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

So then , will my M1 Garand fire faster with the 12 volt conversion ? or should I use my Marlin 30-30 Cal. repeater ? . :D

Oh ,sorry ~ I thought this thread was about 6 to 12 volt conversions on old trucks.... :confused:

I can hardly shoot straight anyway so I no longer carry .

Shoulda kept that old '42 Parabellum 9MM , shooting it was the same as pointing your index finger , never missed , _ever_ . German guns are as good as thier older motos . ;)

13. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

BAR with 6 volt:D

14. federale

federale Member

Worms??

Here,I have just what you are looking for!

Attached Files:

15. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

You're right, Nate. Thanks for keeping me on subject.

16. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Wassup with a little off subject chat? we can learn about each others cultures as well as our trucks! or is that breaking the rules?
    ________
    Amc spirit specifications

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

No harm , no foul .

I like the can o' worms pic ! .

18. SAVANNAH

SAVANNAH Member

As far as Converting 6-12 Volt,I did Replace My Heater Blower Motor & Horns to 12 Volt..& Used a Reducer for Gauges...Also got Bored & Stripped the Wireing from the whole Car & Installed 10,12,14 & 16 Gauge Wire throughout the Whole Car...Just to be Safe while in L.A.

19. ccharr

ccharr Member

Using a stovebolt in good firing order action is nice, however getting my 47 over 60 is my target. :D

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Errrrr ;

Whut was that again ? :confused:

:D