Old Navy Trucks

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Robert, Jul 26, 2006.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The _Wrong_ answer

O.K. Andy ;

I'm a mechanic too , not a body & paint guy but I learned a little bit doing all those used cars over the years .

If I understand it correctly , the clear coat only peels off if it's not properly prepped -or- if you use the wrong typ of clear coat as not all paint types mix .

I know that's a horribly vauge answer but not to worry , we have good paint & fender guys on this list who'll correct my mistakes about this in a short time....

I have a shop truck too and I'd be seriously pissed off if anyone left greasy hand prints on it.....:mad:

I shampoo the engine regularly even if I don't wash it but 3 or 4 X a year :eek:

I had it out to-day , drove down to the SouthBay to have breakfast , coffee and good conversations with a mechanic buddy , the dusty fenders make it look ' barn fresh ' ~ guess it's time for a wash again :rolleyes:

NO wreath this szeason as I put two on my Mercedes Benz's then my brother hit the road to drive his old Mercedes up to Bellingham , Wa. so I hung the truck's wreath on his car after I finished the pre trip PM ...

The old truck still got a loota good looks as it was rolling down the road tho' :p

2. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

You might want to PM Bill Hanlon. He's the guy that went old school on the body work and finished in his with lead. His truck looks amazing. I know he could help.

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Oops, wrong Bill

Hey Kevin, I think you mean Bill Bevins, not Bill Hanlon. Mr. Bevins is the guy who worked at the GM Tech Center and is very knowledgable on all aspects of body and paint.

Andy, my bet is that when your guy gets back to you on the paint, it's probably going to be Mariner Blue. Very popular color on AD trucks.

4. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

I checked through my emails and your right Ken. It's Bill Bevins not Bill Hanlon. OOPS, MY BAD:eek:

5. sweet50

sweet50 Member

I'll have to stop by next time I'm in KS.

6. Ruger338

Ruger338 Member

7. chipoftheblock

chipoftheblock Member

Yes indeed that does look like an Old Navy truck. I wonder how that guy got ahold of that one. I'm going to try my best to get as many as I can when they start moving them out which I'm thinking is going to be really soon. I was reading on the HAMB earlier and some guys already have a couple.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Old Navy : Selling Out ?

Is Old Navy deciding to sell off thier trucks now ? .

9. Ruger338

Ruger338 Member

10. Ruger338

Ruger338 Member

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Interesting

It appears they're selling them off , I notice the sellers _never_ say ' Old Navy ' but that's obviously where they're from .

Could be a good deal if you have a complete , rusted out or wrecked but running truck , simply swap the running gear over , cleaning , painting and adjusting as the units are out .

Lotsa of these trucks are Nu-View cabs (5 windows) and the '54.1 with '47 nose appears to be common , this is a nice compromise IMO .

12. Chiro

Chiro Member

That guy has a warehouse on Long Island, NY which is where I live!!! Already called him to set up an appointment to look at what he has. I can't believe the price they are at already on epay:eek:. I have an Old Navy truck and have seen several others. The body work on them LOOKS nice, but is slapped together in a real quick and cheaply done manner. After all, they were never meant to be road-worthy again. They may advertise that the frames are in good condition, but mine had the parking brake mounts, shock mounts, running board mounts and various other riveted on parts torched off. Other things were done like installing steel plates on the floor and cutting off anything else that might prevent a hazard to a curious on-looker who may crawl under or inside the display trucks. All brake components were removed and five-lug wheels with torched out holes to fit the six-lug pattern were also on the truck. Torque tube was torched at the ham as well. Inner fenders were torched in half so a guy could crawl under and inside the engine compartment to bolt the hood down permanantly to the fenders. All of this meant I needed a parts truck which luckily materialized literally right around the corner from me. Lots and lots of plastic on these trucks. Like I said, they look good from 20 feetand maybe 10 feet, but up close and personal they were slapped together in a hurry and not with the idea of making them road worthy again. Beware if you are bidding on one of these trucks about all of the above and ask many, many questions. I will definately take a look at them because they are so close and maybe I'll be able to get on of the "good" ones that still has an original floor in it (like mine). At least I will be able to paick and choose. Remember, most EVERYTHING has been cut off or taken out of these trucks and what you are bidding on is a shell, nothing more.

Andy

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Andy ;

This is certainly the case with all the Western Old Navy trucks I have seen~ totally rotted out cabs, the one fellow I talked with told the contractor on the job was getting them from fields up near the Canadian border .

The one in the ad there that had a heater still in it , looked pretty good , maybe it was before they figured out the cheap & nasty fast way of prepping them? .

As long as it's free to go lok , why not ? .

-Nate in once again rainy So. Cal.

14. Chiro

Chiro Member

Spoke to the guy at the warehouse near me. They are a moving company whose parent company has a contract to remove and get rid of the trucks for Old Navy. He said it is unlikely that his boss will let one of the trucks go for less than $3500.00. SWEET JESUS, you can buy a running complete trcuk for that much cash. He also confirmed that lots of stuff had indeed been cut off the frames, etc. as I outlined in a previous post.

I didn't even bother to go have a look at them. Not worth it, especially when I got MY Old Navy AD truck for free!!!

Andy

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bummer , That

Oh , well ;

Nothing ventured , nothing gained .

Another example of jerkoffs getting involved in ' collectables ' .

How did you manage to get one for free ? .

16. shagwalla

shagwalla Member

Old Navy Chevy Trucks

I've been bombarded by people looking for the Old Navy Chevy's. I sell tankless water heaters on eBay, and ran across a seller hocking one of these old beauties... and then did some investigating myself.

I found 3 private companies that have over 100 of these trucks as of February 22, 2008.

If you would like to get more information about buying one (or 4) of these old sleds.. Here's the blog with info. www.oldnavytrucks.info

Happy Rat Rodding!!

17. unidos

unidos Member

I live in Orlando, FL. I know of someone who has 9 of these.

WE HAVE 10 TRUCKS FROM THE OLD NAVY CLOTHING STORES. THESE TRUCKS HAVE NEW CHROME GRILLES AND BUMPERS (WORTH ABOUT $1000). THERE ARE NO MOTOR OR TRANS IN THESE TRUCKS BUT MOST OF EVERYTHING ELSE IS THERE. THESE TRUCKS HAVE BEEN IN THE STORES FOR THE PAST 5-10 YEARS IN THE A/C. WE HAVE (2) LONG BEDS, (3) 3 WINDOW SHORT BEDS, & (5) 5 WINDOW SHORT BEDS.

[​IMG]

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Warning ! Danger Danger !

Please not to forget : most of these things were rust buckets to begin with and have important things like cross members etc. TORCH CUT OFF THE FRAME making them damaged beyond repair ! you're _NOT_ going to plop and engine in and go driving .

19. Zig

Zig Member

I Love It!!!

Thanks, ltcmikem! We ALL know a G is worth WAY more than that cute grilled Chevy...:D Yup, it's time for a MANLY truck in your store! Good for business ya know...;)

20. Ravennator

Ravennator Member

Any new updates

I came across a Old Navy truck today and found this forum. Has anybody heard anything more about these truck? Andy, how is your project coming along?
    Also, Ken did you go to Texas A&M by chance? That is a nice color on your truck...

Thank you all for our time,

Lynn

Last edited: May 1, 2009