lowered the '66

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by joe231, May 21, 2008.

1. joe231

joe231 Member

2. 283 man

283 man Member

looks great.:cool:

3. TimE

TimE Member

Lookin' good Joe!:D

4. joe231

joe231 Member

thanks guys!!

5. is2blu

is2blu Member

looking good, really like the "hot rod" stance.

6. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

Looks Good!!

7. 654x4

654x4 Member

your truck looks really good. im into a truck being real tall with big mud tires. BUT you know this low down thing is starting to grow on me. i have the second truck but its a long wheel base, wonder what that would look like slammed down

8. joe231

joe231 Member

thanks!!!

banjoman, long and mean, long beds look super sweet low!!

9. greg65

greg65 Member

Joe your truck looks good with the altitude adjustment. How far did you set it down? Keep up the good work.

10. Billy'sBowties

Billy'sBowties Member

Lowered Truck

Hey Joe it looks real good, how much is it lowered and how did you do it. I am going to move my truck to an old friends house and let him do some frame work for me. See Ya

BB

11. joe231

joe231 Member

i used 96-07 jeep wrangler coils in the rear, lowered it 'bout 4 inches
    cut one full coil plus 3 more inches in the front, lowered it 'bout 2 inches

cool to hear billy, do you need a front end and rear diff from a '86 1/2 ton?

12. Billy'sBowties

Billy'sBowties Member

No Thanks

No don't need any suspension parts, mine has a 73 front with discs and a 3:08 geared rearend out of a 72. I am going to have a C-notch kit put in so I can go either 4" or 5" in the back. I have a set of 2.5 inch spindles for the front, but I don't know if they will work on the 73 front end there supposed to fit a 66 but they look like the same type of spindles that are already on it. Will have to wait and see, either way it will be 4" in the front when I'm through. Later---

Oh, I meant to ask you, where did you get that cool (looks like taped on) back window decal of your truck.

BB

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2008
  13. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

If you use a good quality lowering spring and gas drop shocks to go 4 inches in the rear, you don't need to do a C-notch. Just an adjustable pan hard bar. If you go 5 inches, you still don't "need" to c-notch, but you should use Early Classic's Super Panhard bar.

If you swapped the front suspension the drop spindles you have for the 66 will not work. You would need to swap back to the factory 66 upper and lower control arms.

Val

14. joe231

joe231 Member

cool deal.
    I got the decals from a guy on the 67-72chevytrucks.com forum. you want a couple? I will ask him for more. What color you want?
    here is the link to more pics linky

15. Billy'sBowties

Billy'sBowties Member

No thanks, I have a lot more things to do before I think about a decal for my back glass, but it sure looks good, someday I'll get some and put them somewhere you can bet on that. I just love the shape of the 64-66 at any angle.

Thanks Again Though

BB

16. Billy'sBowties

Billy'sBowties Member

Thanks dvalentine

I plan on using 4" springs and if thats not enough I would be using a 1" lowering block to bring it to 5". I will either be using CPP or Early Classics parts more than likely. When I bought the truck the 73 front suspension was already on with discs and I didn't have access to the original front suspension. I already had the 2 1/2 lowering spindles for a 66 so I guess I will be doing some trading or just sell them outright.

Thanks again

BB

17. Billy'sBowties

Billy'sBowties Member

Thanks dvalentine

I plan on using 4" springs and if thats not enough I would be using a 1" lowering block to bring it to 5". I will either be using CPP or Early Classics parts more than likely. When I bought the truck the 73 front suspension was already on with discs and I didn't have access to the original front suspension. I already had the 2 1/2 lowering spindles for a 66 so I guess I will be doing some trading or just sell them outright.

Thanks again

BB

18. joe231

joe231 Member

I went 4 inches and the rear axle is still centered nice. my springs are soft and if I put any weight in the rear I can feel the bump stops when I hit bumps

Hey Billy, I might be interested in the spindles. let me know what you want for them

19. 283 man

283 man Member

Hey Joe can you see if you can get 4 of those Chevys Only logos for Matt & I thanks buddy!!:cool:

20. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

That's exactly how I lowered the panel truck. I used Early Classic springs and their adjustable track bar with gas drop shocks. Never bottomed the axle tubes on the frame rails. Save yourself some time and $$$ and hold off on the notch. If you want it lower later you can always go that route.

For front spindles I'd recommend Early CLassic again. As a matter of fact, give them a call on their 800 number, ask for Stan and tell him about your current front end and the drop spindles. These guys have our suspension DOWN. I could be wrong about the spindles.

DV