valve cover

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ronaldg, Apr 11, 2009.

1. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

I am thinking about buying an affenhauser valve cover for my 54 and up 235 ingine. And would like to buy the cover without the 2 stud holes that they show in the catalog, so will it be possible, I guess the real question is if my stock chev valve cover doesnt have the 2 stud holes, witch valve cover do i order.

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Ron, look at the casting number on the head and figure out what year it is. Then it will be a piece of cake. The later heads will have 4 stovebolts holding the valve cover in place.

3. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

4 bolts

mine has the 4 stove bolts holding it on but all the offy valve covers i see have the studs up the middle. can i buy without the studs and where

4. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

Cast aluminum valve covers

What the sales folks don't tell you until you have received you new cover and are ready to install it:

1.) the cast aluminum cover is the same outside size as the edge of the flange on your stock 235 valve cover. This means in order to clear your thermostat housing, you will need a spacer about 3/8" thick, maybe 1/4" will do between the head and the thermostat housing. Patrick will sell you one.

2.) There is a stud kit complete with chrome acorn nuts (Patrick) for converting your 235 valve cover to mount like a 216. You will also want to use the 216 valve cover gasket for this new aluminum valve cover.

The set up is shiney, but not quite as simple as it looks installed.

Jim

Attached Files:

5. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

So do all 235 ingines newer or older take the same offenhauser valve cover.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Couldn't You Just

Notch it like the originals did ? .

7. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

Not notched?

I bought my aluminum cover from Patrick. When I bumped into trouble, I called him up. He sent me the spacer. He did not charge for the spacer.

Simple enough except I also had to realign my alternator bracket.

I don't think the Wayne Repop aluminum cover is thick enough to notch and make work. I did not measure it.

Jim